possible re-design

jcombs_31

The calender looks better - albeit the event icon having a little too much colour.

I know you are not designing for 800 x 600 - but - I still think there is 5px too much padding on the very extreme left.

Its a pity safari doesnt render <input> fields. Still - all looks good.

-steve

• 3 weeks later...
NICE.

A few points tho jeff - probably more work tho.
The photo slideshow - when you reach the end - the forward arrow still shows. Obviously after going forward and backwards a time or two - I realise I have reached the end. Anyways - its just a usability thing.

In your header image - Coral Glades High School - you have the Principals name in the image. Is this so, they will call you for after sales support if they change principal ,-)

I still would like to see an intext a:hover for <a href's> - but thats just me.
The event calender login looks well - but I wouldnt be too keen to have it as a popup window.

Anyways - very nice overall. Boy - Im sure there was a lot of work in putting all that site together!

-steve

[quote]There is also a lot happening behind the scenes in the login section for staff[/quote]

I would very much like just a screen grab of your the login section/pages. Just to get an idea how much GUI you have there and and what options you have for logged in users of a typical website. Do you provide website stats? Backup/Restore? How do ppl upload images?

Anyhoo - nice job. I definately think its worth a couple of grand.
-steve

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=112926.msg476265#msg476265 date=1164898696]
[quote]There is also a lot happening behind the scenes in the login section for staff[/quote]

I would very much like just a screen grab of your the login section/pages. Just to get an idea how much GUI you have there and and what options you have for logged in users of a typical website. Do you provide website stats? Backup/Restore? How do ppl upload images?

Anyhoo - nice job. I definately think its worth a couple of grand.
-steve
[/quote]

The login section is for things useful to the staff, nothing about stats/backups.  It contains a work order system for technology and facilities and a reservation system for laptop carts in the school.  There are bascially three sections, one for staff to submit work orders and requets, change their account info, etc, one for me to view and update workorders/review laptop requets, and another for facilities and administration to follow up on.  This part of the site is not quite ready yet, probably tomorrow, I can post screens when it is finished if you want. 

Ah! Im beginning to think Im doing way too much work and effort in my back-end admin panels  :o

Jea. And here's me thinking backup, restore, stats, full user management etc., uploads had to be done!!!

P.S. For websites where you are not on-site etc. (a design,develop, and hand over site) - you do not put in all backups etc. etc.?

If you wouldn't mind posting a screenie of the GUI of your back-end - just the layout to show the complexity etc. - Id be grateful.
Tis just that I do be killing myself trying to get all possible functionality into the backend.  :'(

-steve

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=112926.msg476930#msg476930 date=1164977244]
P.S. For websites where you are not on-site etc. (a design,develop, and hand over site) - you do not put in all backups etc. etc.?
[/quote]

I personally never put in additional control for the backend unless they specifically ask for it. As far as backups (both files and database), I keep a backup of every file system I write in case they screw something on their server up, but without them requesting the extra work for backups, file uploads, etc., I don't add it in. If they do request it, the additional work is [b]always[/b] figured into the quote, too. No sense in giving out freebees ;)

stats are usually offered through the host, so why bother to reinvent the wheel?  Also, as far as the gui, it looks like the rest of the site.  I typically always make the login sections blend well with the current layout.  The only thing that looks different is my calendar admin section because I created that part seperately from the site to be reused as needed. 

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=112926.msg476980#msg476980 date=1164982839]
[quote]I keep a backup of every file system I write in case they screw something on their server up,[/quote]
So do you do a remote backup of files and database via a cronjob?

Cheers.
-steve
[/quote]

Depends on the type of job. If it's a professional site or one with sensitive info, yes, I do. If it's someone's personal site or a small business site, I usually give them an option for backups, but most people opt to do manual backups once a week or so through phpMyAdmin, so I don't have to worry with it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to export a table with SQL from phpMyAdmin, so they usually opt for that ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.