NaCl

Alex

Has anyone else been following native client (more info about it at the link if you don't know what it is) in chrome? Put simply, it allows native compiled code (C, C++) to run in the browser sand-boxed. The performance is impressive, only around 5% slower than it would run on the desktop it seems. JavaScript is getting pretty fast these days, but it's still nowhere near native code. Here's an example app that compares JavaScript to NaCl: http://gonativeclient.appspot.com/dev/demos/flocking_geese/ . As you can see, if you're using chrome, NaCl is much faster.

One of the major focuses seems to be games. Native client promises bringing console quality games to the browser, which is pretty impressive.

I was pretty excited about it the first time I heard about it and saw some crude demos a while ago, but now, with chrome stable supporting it, a bunch of much more impressive applications are showing up. The best one I've seen so far is Bastion, originally a console game. It's really fun, and great in full screen. I was really impressed that this was running in the browser. I even bought the full version for $15.

I think this could potentially be big in the future. Especially if you take Eric Schmidt's bold prediction that by summer 2012 most TVs you see will have Google TV. Imagine a future where you can play console quality games on your TV through the web browser. What would be the point of consoles?

What do you think about NaCl, or other up-and-coming web technologies? What are you looking forward to, what excites you?

Not for web developers.

i thought the same when i saw the title, then i starting thinking of making an web app with drag and drop elements from the periodic table to create compounds, to what end i wasn't sure

Sounds like something that could make for an interesting and fun education tool.

• 1 month later...

im not sure i know the chemical formula for spam

Barium Cobalt Nitrogen?

pIG?

I thought NaCl was salt.

lol

@OP

Seems pretty impressive, but is there any chance other major browsers will support it? And it they do, you'll only have to write your application twice because IE are "defining the (non)standards"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.