Best approach to setup 30 urls reading off one SQL database

MCR

Hi all

I have been asked to manage a project comprising around 30 URLs all reading data from a single MySQL database.

I have a dedicated server based in the UK, managed by a ISP called Fasthost. The server is Linux running Ubuntu.

I  currently run all my sites by setting the DNS to my nameservers, then setting up the server space through a control panel on the server, and then uploading files through FTP.

Is there a way of setting up the Domain Name Server to point these urls straight to a standard set of files, with data and site css/theme configured through a table  by the site_id ??

I do have an existing short cut for batches of linked sites where I have set up a parent/child type of structure with one URL and fies acring as the parent but it involves full server space setup, uploading a standard set of files to each child server space,

The index page of the child site uses multiple php includes which - and if there are any development changes all the sites have to be updated.

Can anyone suggest a route forward. I recognise that I will have to get expert help to implement this, but I would like some advice on best practice approach for this project.

Thanks all

Of course it's possible, however we would need allot more detail about your setup before we could help.

Is your application designed to serve different data from the database based on what domain it is accessed from? I assume not, but this (or similar) is what would need to be done to achieve what you are after.

There are numerous ways to go about this. I have done it before with a CMS that now serves over 1300+ websites. In the end however we actually moved all the sites into there own dynamic virtual hosts. Each of these hosts had there own database configuration and CMS themes installed. The rest of the application was stored in a central location on php's include path.

Anyway, the rough answer is of course yes it can be done. The bigger picture however is that this isn't necessarily a simple problem with a simple fix.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.