What do I need here for internet connection?

Rommeo

I have two laptops, and I m connecting internet via cable at work. ( by DHCP ), so I when I plug the cable the server assigns the IP for my laptop. But sometimes I need to work with my other laptop and I need internet connection for it too, then everytime I m plugging the cable to the computer I need to work with and transfering files between two computers is another problem.

As a result I have one cable with internet ( by DHCP ). and I have two laptops, how can I connect these two computers to each other so that I can connect to internet by two of them and transfer files between each other ? Which device I need ?

I have 4 port switch was working well while I was using ADSL modem and switch together so I was able to connect the computers to each other, but in my new office, cable with DHCP on,  I m not able to use it anymore, it does not work..

A switch does not care about the DHCP at all. It just acts as a splitter, as long as it is truly a switch and not a router. You just plug in the connection from the wall into the switch then plug in both laptops to the switch as well and it will work fine. If you have a router, go buy a switch and it should work.

A switch does not care about the DHCP at all. It just acts as a splitter, as long as it is truly a switch and not a router. You just plug in the connection from the wall into the switch then plug in both laptops to the switch as well and it will work fine. If you have a router, go buy a switch and it should work.

Considering a router is basically a switch on steroids, you should be able to dump down the router features to just act as a switch. I've done this before with an old router when I needed more connections.

you should be able to dump down the router features to just act as a switch. I've done this before with an old router when I needed more connections.

It really depends on the router, but yea, most routers have that capability. Given it came with his ADSL, I just assumed that it would be something basic, unique to the company and very limited on what you can do with it.

This could actually be more complicated than it appears on the surface. Is there a network tech/admin at this office? If the switches in the network itself are configured with port security, it's possibly set up so that you can only use one device per switch port. If that's the case, it would be controlled by MAC address. BUT, to know if that is even a possibility, you'd need to post more details about the network.

This could actually be more complicated than it appears on the surface. Is there a network tech/admin at this office? If the switches in the network itself are configured with port security, it's possibly set up so that you can only use one device per switch port. If that's the case, it would be controlled by MAC address. BUT, to know if that is even a possibility, you'd need to post more details about the network.

No there is no tech/admin at the office,

Maybe there is port security I m not sure, but there is one thing which is weird is ;

My switch is something good and working well, and when I plug and configure the IPs by myself, when 2 of the laptops are connected to switch and switch is connected to network cable, only one computer is able to connect internet. Other one can not connect.. So there may be port security maybe ? or something else ? could not connect yet..

Are you just plugging the ethernet from your modem into the switch along with your two laptops?  If so that will not work.  ISP's typically only allow your modem one IP, and it can only forward that to one device.  So if you did just plug the modem and the laptops into a switch you'd likely see what your describing.  One laptop would work the other wouldn't.

If you want to split your internet connect you need to use a router.  Plug the modem into the WAN port on the router and your laptops/other devices into the LAN port.

Are you just plugging the ethernet from your modem into the switch along with your two laptops?  If so that will not work.  ISP's typically only allow your modem one IP, and it can only forward that to one device.  So if you did just plug the modem and the laptops into a switch you'd likely see what your describing.  One laptop would work the other wouldn't.

If you want to split your internet connect you need to use a router.  Plug the modem into the WAN port on the router and your laptops/other devices into the LAN port.

The thing is, in my new office I dont have modem or something. The whole building is connected to a big switch I guess, and in my office there is just a cable coming from the wall for me to plug to laptop, and I just plug the cable, the DHCP assigns my ip and I connect to internet, when I need internet for my other laptop, I plug the cable to that one.. it's like that..

The thing is, in my new office I dont have modem or something. The whole building is connected to a big switch I guess, and in my office there is just a cable coming from the wall for me to plug to laptop, and I just plug the cable, the DHCP assigns my ip and I connect to internet, when I need internet for my other laptop, I plug the cable to that one.. it's like that..

You probably need to use a router to split the connection. To know for sure you'd have to ask whoever controls the other end of that cable.  As mentioned previously, they may employ some kind of security so only one device can be connected, only one ip assigned.

A router would most likely work for you if you want to go get one (assuming you don't have one currently).  The only way to know for sure if you can just use your switch is to ask whoever controls that cable how it is setup.  Whoever owns the building should know, or be able to tell you who to ask at least.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.