Auto updating sitemap with auto submit

jrws

So a project I have simply to learn how it is done is to make an auto updating sitemap with a auto submitter. I have been doing a little research on sitemaps but haven't found much in the way of a tutorial or white paper or similar, anyway I was wondering if I am on the right track or not.

What I was thinking for the auto-updating sitemap is since site maps are XML, when an article is published using my custom CMS/Blogging system, I make it rewrite the sitemap appending the new URL that will be generated.

Then for the auto-submit, I can either make it a cron job or just manual press, but it would go though a for list of URLs, replacing the end part with my site map url. I think that is how it would be done.

If you have a better idea, or can point out an article so I can understand a lot more with sitemaps, I will appreciate it, I am trying to learn as much as possible, I have gone to the offical website (sitemaps.org) but it doesn't have what I am looking for.

Thanks,

James

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old.