Nooby wants to make a site from Scratch

eXpired

Hello,

Im new tot the php coding community...

I read allot of php articles, and i know or knew most of the codes...
But i noticed one thing, you have to work with php to controle and really know it.
So i want to start a website, and I just started and I'm stuck...
I made a design, top frame, down frame , en left frame.
For banner, footer, navigation, en whats left is for the text.
But now I'm qurious, what can i do to change the length of the page automaticcly and stuff

How can i code a site, in css like http://www.gamespy.com/ I want to make the same layout, not the colours en design, but just the way they centered the site, and how nice the navigation side is coded..

Maybe someone can help me started, or can give me a link where i can learn or copy the code :)

Thanks Guys for you help

might be worth taking a look at the tutorials on the main site: http://www.phpfreaks.com . what you're asking is very general as it requires you to get a grasp of various different things, not just PHP - as you stated. follow the tutorials until you understand them - constructing a website from scratch when you're unsure of what you need is going to be a pain in the arse for you if you dont understand what you're trying to do or what you need to use other than "i want to build a website."

good luck

In reply to your title; a lot of people want to make websites from scratch, including myself. I can relate to you though, you sound a lot like me before I got hooked on php.

Anyhow, the point of this post.

You can NOT use portions of other peoples code and adapt them (while you don't know what you are doing), and then put them together. This goes for any type of code: html, css, javascript, php, simply any code.

So yes, study first. But study the most elementary things first. I made the mistake of not doing so when I started learning about making websites, don't let it be in vain: take this advice.

Suggested topics:

1. Client-Server Model
2. XHTML Basics, doctypes and entities
3. What's different about XHTML compared to HTML
4. CSS level 2 and Designing Layouts

After that you have the basic knowledge to start creating static websites. You don't have to know every quirck, but a solid understanding. Then you can start to create dynamic web applications. You won't be able to create anything looking like gamespy.com with little or no effort, especially when you know nothing about website design yet.

I know that programs like Dreamweaver and Frontpage make it seem like you don't have to know anything about the above, but that's simply not true. If you don't really want to learn all this, you just want a good looking website quickly, look into templates and Joomla!/Mambo.

• 5 weeks later...
I have a very conflicting view with 448191, the method by which I've learned all the languages I know have been copy and pasting the code examples on other websites and using them to create my own. I would figure out how they worked to the best of my ability and change them to work. I created quite a complex website using simple copy-paste.

I think you just need to judge for yourself how you learn best, and apply that method. One way doesn't work well for everybody.

if you do use other peoples code then don't call it yours. Give them their credit. I myself started learning after downloading a News application. I cracked it open and started reading but even after I made my changes, I left their name on it. That's just respect.

But yes, you can use other peoples code to learn. But I HIGHLY suggest studying. You can learn the basics from free codes but you'll  never learn  how to build your own site from scratch if you don't make an attempt to learn everything you need first.

itrebal hit the nail on the head totally 100% here. what works for one is not the same as another.
personally i knew a little HTML, and when i decided i wanted a forum, i downloaded phpbb and got interested in the code. everything i learn these days has been either from other peoples code, the php manual (which coupled with the users notes, is excellent) and here. studying has some advantages to some people, but others will learn better from jumping in the deep end and just getting stuck in. some people will study and study for years (no names mentioned) and still be stuck in a hole.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.