Which sytax do you prefer?

trq

I am currently prototyping some code that will enable named arguments to functions via an array. I have ended up with two different solutions:

public function trigger(array $options) {
    $ops = $this->setOptions([
        'name'      => ['required'  => true, 'unless' => ['event']],
        'params'    => ['required'  => true, 'unless' => ['event'], 'type' => 'array'],
        'callback'  => ['type'      => 'callable'],
        'context'   => ['type'      => 'object'],
        'event'     => ['class'     => 'Event']
    ], $options);
}

public function trigger(array $options) {
    $ops = $this->setOptions([
        'name'      => (new Option())->required()->unless('event'),
        'params'    => (new Option())->required()->unless('event')->type('array'),
        'callback'  => (new Option())->type('callable'),
        'context'   => (new Option())->type('object'),
        'event'     => (new Option())->class('Event')
    ], $options);
}

Now, I am in the predicament of deciding which syntax I prefer. The first uses native arrays but the underlying code is pretty messy and has the potential of being harder to extend. The second is allot cleaner to implement but does introduce an extra dependency in the Option object. This does however have the benefit of making it easier to extend.

Has anyone got an opinion on which syntax they would prefer from a users perspective? In both cases the setOptions() method is provided via a trait.

That is a much nicer looking implementation. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can get it working.

I would need $this->configure() to return the options ready for use. I will have a dig around though and see what I can get working.

There is an initial prototype available here if you'd like to have a look.

You can already add quite a bit of functionality to the Option object on the fly without needing to extend it. Though I do also plan on having a better look at how I can make extending classes within the framework allot simpler.

I just haven't gotten there as yet.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.