`countrycode` varchar(2) NOT NULL,
  `region_id` varchar(11) NOT NULL,
  `regionname` varchar(255) NOT NULL
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

worldcitylist.country_id is 0 ,  region_id is set
worldregionlist.country_id is set with region_id as well

i want to run the following query:
UPDATE worldcitylist
SET country_id = (SELECT country_id FROM worldregionlist WHERE worldcitylist.countrycode = worldregionlist.countrycode AND worldcitylist.region_id = worldregionlist.region_id )
WHERE 1

worldcitylist has 7,302,121 rows total

my macbook should be able to handle it

it is running , no error, no result

how long should this take? what's wrong

thanks

Why? PHPMyAdmin is a web application and will timeout trying to process that much data. No one wants to look at millions of rows of data in one hit anyway.

At least try and be realistic about what your application should display.

Why? PHPMyAdmin is a web application and will timeout trying to process that much data. No one wants to look at millions of rows of data in one hit anyway.

At least try and be realistic about what your application should display.

im trying to update the world city list database with new country ids i have from a legacy website

i want to update the table first

then i want to offer this list in an autocomplete for {city_name,region_name,country_name } in a form to add addresses when siging

up for a world wide service

what do you suggest? how can i make it work?

what do you suggest? how can i make it work?

Use MySql's cli interface.

ok here is what i get

mysql> UPDATE worldcitylist SET country_id = (SELECT country_id FROM worldregionlist WHERE worldcitylist.countrycode = worldregionlist.countrycode AND worldcitylist.region_id = worldregionlist.region_id ) WHERE 1 LIMIT 30;
Query OK, 0 rows affected, 30 warnings (0.67 sec)
Rows matched: 30  Changed: 0  Warnings: 30

you should add a limit to your sub-query, it should only return one result. I assume your warnings will be telling you that.

i'm doing this through the OS terminal

i dont get details for the warnings

i added a LIMIT to the sub-query same 30 warinings.

i tried to use this kind of UPDATE query:

UPDATE worldcitylist, worldregionlist set worldcitylist.country_id= worldregionlist.country_id WHERE worldregionlist.Enable =1 AND worldregionlist.countrycode=worldcitylist.countrycode AND worldregionlist.region_id=worldcitylist.region_id LIMIT 30

worldcitylist was updated but not correctly

Don't know if this will work but could be worth a try:

UPDATE worldcitylist 
INNER JOIN worldregionlist as country ON (worldcitylist.countrycode=country.countrycode)
INNER JOIN worldregionlist as region ON (worldcitylist.region_id = region.region_id)
SET worldcitylist.country_id = country.country_id
WHERE country.enabled = 1
LIMIT 30

Curious though - if you already have a matching countrycode filed in both tables, what's the point in all this?

UPDATE worldcitylist 
INNER JOIN worldregionlist as country ON (worldcitylist.countrycode=country.countrycode)
INNER JOIN worldregionlist as region ON (worldcitylist.region_id = region.region_id)
LIMIT 30

Curious though - if you already have a matching countrycode filed in both tables, what's the point in all this?

thanks, i'll try this

this is a db for world cities i found,

I need to integrate it with a db im using with country_ids already set(legacy)

UPDATE worldcitylist 
LIMIT 30

BTW

apparently you can't use  LIMIT with UPDATE and JOINS , well im running your query , no errors yet and it is running how long should this take?

eek :o

never had that happen to me. 

Got this from the MySQL website though:

You can also get these errors if you send a query to the server that is incorrect or too large. If mysqld receives a packet that is too large or out of order, it assumes that something has gone wrong with the client and closes the connection. If you need big queries (for example, if you are working with big BLOB columns), you can increase the query limit by setting the server's max_allowed_packet variable, which has a default value of 1MB. You may also need to increase the maximum packet size on the client end. More information on setting the packet size is given in Section C.5.2.10, “Packet too large”.

An INSERT or REPLACE statement that inserts a great many rows can also cause these sorts of errors. Either one of these statements sends a single request to the server irrespective of the number of rows to be inserted; thus, you can often avoid the error by reducing the number of rows sent per INSERT or REPLACE.

eek :o

never had that happen to me. 

Got this from the MySQL website though:

You can also get these errors if you send a query to the server that is incorrect or too large. If mysqld receives a packet that is too large or out of order, it assumes that something has gone wrong with the client and closes the connection. If you need big queries (for example, if you are working with big BLOB columns), you can increase the query limit by setting the server's max_allowed_packet variable, which has a default value of 1MB. You may also need to increase the maximum packet size on the client end. More information on setting the packet size is given in Section C.5.2.10, “Packet too large”.

An INSERT or REPLACE statement that inserts a great many rows can also cause these sorts of errors. Either one of these statements sends a single request to the server irrespective of the number of rows to be inserted; thus, you can often avoid the error by reducing the number of rows sent per INSERT or REPLACE.

ok i use a GUI interface for the terminal

well i hope im not going to damage my server

how would i access the shell and run :

mysql -u root -p mysql

then :

shell> mysql --max_allowed_packet=32M

batching it will require that you have a Unique IDentifier column (sorry if that sounds patronising, just covering the bases), then just append "AND UID BETWEEN 1 AND 100000" to the WHERE clause, and bump it up each time.  You should be able to get away with 100000 records at a time.  you could even write a script to go through it for you using a varible and a multiple of that variable untill the number of rows affected are less than the multiplier (or untill variable * multiplier hits your known table top of 7.something million), but this may need smaller incraments and make sure to close the connection after each batch or else set a persistant connection prior to running  any of the batches and close it at the end of them all (should work nicely on a localhost/LAN setup).

batching it will require that you have a Unique IDentifier column (sorry if that sounds patronising, just covering the bases), then just append "AND UID BETWEEN 1 AND 100000" to the WHERE clause, and bump it up each time.  You should be able to get away with 100000 records at a time.  you could even write a script to go through it for you using a varible and a multiple of that variable untill the number of rows affected are less than the multiplier (or untill variable * multiplier hits your known table top of 7.something million), but this may need smaller incraments and make sure to close the connection after each batch or else set a persistant connection prior to running  any of the batches and close it at the end of them all (should work nicely on a localhost/LAN setup).

gotchya ;)

index the 7mil records

SHOW WARNINGS.

i have no warnings

i had an issue with mysql server timeouts which i fixed

when running this query it doesnt execute,

how do i use  the UID method to split the query into parts,

maybe the size of the table isn't letting it execute

UPDATE worldcitylist 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.