Philip

Domain Registrars

I'm kinda surprised we don't have a sticky on this and there haven't been many topics on this for a few years... so here we are!

I'm looking to switch away from GoDaddy as my domain registrar. I have almost everything about them, from the UI, to their BS marketing. The only thing I do like is that I can typically get domains pretty cheap through them thanks to their never ending discount codes. However, it is time to move on.

Does anybody have any recommendations that they've personally used and have had good experiences with? All I need is domain registration - no hosting, email, etc.

Here is a compiled list:
www.namecheap.com
www.name.com
www.dynadot.com
www.gandi.net
www.easydns.com
www.dyndns.com
www.domainnameshop.com
www.dd24.net
http://domains.ausweb.com.au/

I'm kinda surprised we don't have a sticky on this

Do it.

I didn't realize today was the international "dump GoDaddy" day . . .

I don't know if you're being serious or not, but it IS international dump godaddy day.

I never had domains with them in the first place.  "Titties 'n Nascar" is not an advertising campaign that appealed to me.

I am serious. I didn't know it until I saw this thread and started reading some of the reddit comments, and some other links.

GoDaddy supported SOPA, so a bunch of people transferred away from them (including big names like Wikipedia and Penny-Arcade).  GoDaddy was interviewed about the mass exodus and said something to the effect of "we're seeing a lot of noise, but it hasn't hurt us financially at all."  The hivemind decided to make an example out of them.

Just noticed a link to a story about it on the home page at FoxNews.com, too.

GoDaddy supported SOPA, so a bunch of people transferred away from them (including big names like Wikipedia and Penny-Arcade).  GoDaddy was interviewed about the mass exodus and said something to the effect of "we're seeing a lot of noise, but it hasn't hurt us financially at all."  The hivemind decided to make an example out of them.

Yup, which is also another reason.

Cheers Dan for the reddit link. It's rare when I visit reddit ;)

http://namecheap.com of course.

I think I'll keep my domains at GoDaddy for now. I don't like the fact that they support SOPA, but I can't really afford double the cost of my domains per year either.

Yeah, I went with namecheap. I do hate having to drop a couple hundred bucks for renewing the domains, but meh. It'll be worth it to get away from godaddy.

The political discussion that had started in this thread is now split into its own thread.  Please use this thread to discuss domain registrars and web hosts only.

Name(.com) and Namecheap are my favourites; no shonky business, always upfront, awesome packages and services on the side.

I recently bought a few names through hover.com. A bit expensive ($15 each), but a great control panel. and they were recommended by Leo Laporte, who generally knows his stuff. No complaints.

I have been a namecheap customer for some time now, never had any problem with them.