Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimbob33

Counting Characters in variable returned.

Hi there,

I'm trying to write a php echo file to go with a html form.
I need to count and show the total number of characters returned from the variables entered on the form.

Where do I insert this and do I use count() or strlen() or neither?  This may be simple but I'm new to php and struggling.

Here is my php code so far - not sure if you need the code from my html form aswell.

Thanks in advance.

<html>
<body>

Your favourite book is <?php echo $_GET["book"]; ?>.<br />
Your favourite meal is <?php echo $_GET["meal"]; ?>.

</body>
</html>

Well how exactly are you retrieving the data from the user?  because GET will only work if you use
method="url" in the form.  I suggest using the post method, then the way to count the string length of the submitted stuff is:
[code]
<?php
$fav_book = $_POST['book'];
$fav_meal = $_POST['meal'];
$book_length = strlen($fav_book);
$meal_length = strlen($fav_meal);
//then echo it
echo("<p>Your favorite book is $fav_book.</p>");
echo("<p>Your favorite meal is $fav_meal.</p>");
//and use the length variables however you want, you didn't really go into detail on that
?>
[/code]

plus, the count function is used to count the number of values in an array, so it wouldn't be of use here.

Thanks for this but I have to use the 'get' method for college work. It's not for a live system.
I am using it on a local web server - my own PC  - so files are in the same place.

well if someone is requiring you to use the get method, then just do the same thing as above, but change your form method to url and replace $_POST with $_GET and it should work

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.