which CMS

mpsn

Hi I am fourth year and I would like to know of the two CMS, which should I use: Joomla or Drupal.

I am to build a website for a children's daycare center, the meat of the website would be login for parents, staff, a calendar with ability to add and change important info, and a registration form online for parents to register their children.

There are about 12 pages that link to one another, or do you think it's better to do coding on my own and not use one the above mentioned CMS frameworks? Once I complete the practicum, it will be maintained by the daycare staff (who may not be illiterate with editing and uploading new information like images and prices for different age groups etc).

Any help appreciated!

I decided to go with Drupal, but I read somewhere where you don't need to know HTML, PHP, but CSS at least. I know these things but then won't using a CMS like this make a developer dumb down on their knowledge and experience with PHP for example? So there's no point in learning PHP etc...

A lot of "hard core types" bad mouth Joomla. I guess it's too "commercial", doesn't have the crunchy long-hair organic goodness of Drupal... That's my opinionated biased speculation...

But version 1.7 is *VERY* smooth, much of the criticism about the code quality that stretches back to version 1.0 is no longer valid. Version 1.5 marked an almost complete rewrite, and the latest version 1.7 has squashed even more bugs and really done amazing things with the Admin UI.

A lot of the criticism about the menu / category structure and design are the result of not understanding it (menus are completely customization, and can be built to almost unlimited depths).

Joomla is a complicated CMS, but it is also extremely flexible.

Having said that, you need to pick the right tool for the job, and maybe both Drupal and Joompla are both over-kill for what you need. There is a working demo at Joomla.org, and it's not too hard to install and set up yourself just to play around with.

The latest version of WordPress is said to be very slick and powerful, it may be what you need.

So as a real developer working in a real IT company with a salary, you probably don't use CMS I'm guessing.

Of course you do. Just because you're a super badass developer doesn't mean you write everything from scratch.

Smart developers pick the right tool for the job and go with that.

In my opinion you will never get one CMS that will serve all your needs,

I agree on principle but in reality, most of the popular CMS can do pretty much anything with plugins. Wordpress and Drupal have both been around a long time, and both have a pretty huge plugin repository. I bet you'd be hard pressed to think of functionality that isn't there in some form.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.