Capturing IP and placing in text field

jaffy

Hi,
I am a complete newbie and have a ready made PHP script installed. However one thing it is missing is a way to capture the visitors IP address and storing it in the database when they register. I have found out how to get the visitors IP address with this;

[code]<?php
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

echo "Your IP address is: $ip"; [/code]

I have a redundant field on the register page which is used to enter a website, so I wish to simply use this field to automatically enter the visitors IP adress

So my question is, how do I get the $ip variable into the value field of an input field like this one;

[code]<input type="text" name="IP Adress" value="{m_website}">[/code]

Thanks for any help

[code]
<input type="hidden" name="IP_Address" value="<?php echo $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];?>" />
[/code]

this is a hidden field, and is not being displayed to the user (unless they do view - source) so when he submit the form you will be able to "capture" his ip by using:

[code]
<?php
# get the actual ip address by using the associative key created by the form (IP_Address)
$ip = $_REQUEST['IP_Address'];

# display ip
echo $ip;
?>
[/code]

The above method could be more easily 'spoofed' or neglected entirely.  If you want to add it into the database, make sure of the database structure (ie: make sure you have a field for the IP address) and do something similar to this...

[code]
<?php
$IP = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
$Query = mysql_query("INSERT INTO `table` (`field`) VALUES ('$IP')");
?>
[/code]

Obviously this will need to incorperate your current structure and be added to your registration database query that you already have.

HTH

Dest

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.