require('Smarty/Smarty.class.php');

// Create Object

$smarty = new Smarty();

$smarty->setTemplateDir('templates');

$smarty->setCompileDir('templates_c');

$smarty->display('index.tpl');

?>

Hello Mahendra.    Thanks for replying.

I have actually managed to get that far with the 'basic setup' from... 

http://ubuntu-linux-apache-mysql-php.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-install-smarty-with-wampserver.html

What I'm now in conflict with is the 'extended setup' described on the same webpage, at the first try it's throwing out an error, but this might be due to using a slightly later version of Smarty than from the webpage, at the moment my version is 3.1.0.

My problem is trying to get the concept and path into my head.

Have a look at the page and tell me what you think and also how would it be modified for the latest stable Smarty 3.1.7.

Kev

Hello Kev,

can give me description or screenshot of the error you get. so i can better understand.

And one more thing, about path, you can do this in two way.

1.. You can set Smarty class path by modifying php.ini file as done on webpage you have given.

include_path = ".;c:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.0\pear;c:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.0\Smarty\libs"

by doing this you just need to insert line of code like

"require_once(SMARTY_DIR . 'Smarty.class.php');"

Here SMARTY_DIR is constant, which automatically set by Smarty.

2.. second way is what i have done in my previous reply

In all cases you have  to make path to smarty class file that's it..

Hello Mahedra.

Thanks form replying.

I had already used the setup and code from Jon Lyles blog and it threw out an error, this I corrected (more by accident than design) by removing from the "include_once" the 'SMARTY_DIR .' reference, it all worked fine after that.

The interest now, after having success with the 'Basic' setup was to get the 'Extended setup' to function, I think Jon Lyle's code for this particular type of setup needs examining and maybe modifying to suit a newer version of Smarty.  I have attempted to contact Jon Lyle but without success.

I am a rank amateur at coding and would be grateful for your help.

Kev

Hello again Mahendra.

I found what amounted to a couple of typo's in my script for using Smarty extended setup and it now almost works.  At a guess I would say this error is due to a problem with some sort of variation with the Smarty version that I am using and the version that Jon Lyle used, here is the error.

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'SmartyException' with message 'Call of unknown function 'Smarty'.' in C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.0\Smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_internal_templatebase.php:692 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: Smarty_Internal_TemplateBase->__call('Smarty', Array) #1 C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.0\includes\guestbook\setup.php(18): Smarty_GuestBook->Smarty() #2 C:\wamp\www\guestbook\index.php(4): Smarty_GuestBook->Smarty_GuestBook() #3 {main} thrown in C:\wamp\bin\php\php5.3.0\Smarty\libs\sysplugins\smarty_internal_templatebase.php on line 692

Thans Kev

Hello again Mahendra.

I had another go at the 'extended setup' I compared Jon Lyles 'setup.php' against Smarty.net 'extended setup'

I had to make one or two alterations and the thing worked first time.

That's that sorted now to fix 'PEAR'

Kev

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.