session_start() problem in localhost

robert_gsfame

this problem really drives me crazy..hope that anyone could help.

I left my page only with

<?php

session_start();

?>

with no script at all..and i still got error

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at E:\Program Files\XAMPP 1.5.4\xampp\htdocs\folder\page1.php:1) in E:\Program Files\XAMPP 1.5.4\xampp\htdocs\folder\page1.php on line 2

No white space at all. I tried to upload this file into the server (not local) and no error appeared. but when i run it in my local server, error appeared.

I restart my xampp so many times but still didn't fix this.

what's the problem then?

thx in advance

your code editor is encoding your script with a BOM (you can google BOM if you don't know what it is), which outputs to the browser, thus rendering session_start problematic, since no output can be sent to the browser before calling that function. You will need to change you encoding type to UTF-8 without BOM. should be in the settings, under encoding, depending on what editor you are using.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.