Starting a Development site

rfwrangler

Hello,

I am starting to develop a development website and would like other people to advise me on how my layout looks and what they think can be better.  I am open to all advice.

Thank you

[url=http://www.rfwrangler.frih.net/]http://www.rfwrangler.frih.net/[/url]

Wow.

There are lots of colors - reds, blues, purples, greens... etc. which don't seem to serve a purpose. Color defines space, catches the eye and creates/diminishes importance of elements on a page, etc. Try picking just two (or three max) that compliment each other and work within those colors and their gradients to create a unified color scheme.

There are too many graphical elements competing for attention. I see a marine logo, circuit board, site logo, big purple areas, icons, etc. Try choosing just one theme to start with. Tone down your big purple areas. That login box, and menu are just plain imposing - IMO, subtle gradients are better than big obnoxious ones.

As far as structure goes what you have seems alright. Implementing liquid design is harder than keeping it static. Try to match all your text fonts, I see some times and tahoma in mixed up in there. Also, are all the ads REALLY necessary? Do they generate enough revenue that its worth taking up all that valuable page real-estate? Ads generally detract from the quality of your page, but thats for you to decide.

Good job on being XHTML compliant. Make sure you continually check that as you update the site.

Good Luck!

I didn't really read all of the above post, but here is my take.  Seems like you just learned there is a bevel tool in photoshop. I would remove all of those bevels, they looks VERY bad and amatuer in my opinion. Things seem to be randomly thrown all around the page with nothing holding it together.  Try to contain your elements with some type of easy logic for the eye to follow.  The logo looks very faint and I can't tell what is really going on there. I see no real navigation and don't really know what the site is for.

I'm not even sure what this reminds me of, but I certainly wouldn't suspect it's a webdesign related website of ANY sorts...

I'll be polite, and say it's "not very good".

I'm not going to bore anyone talking about colour schemes, layout and mood settings, just: "try again". Look at professional competitors and learn.

Thank you everyone for your cander and honesty with this.  I am currently working on a redesign of the layout and when it is finished I will repost in this topic.  Again thank you for the advice and the honest critic that you have offered that is what I needed and it has helped me alot.

"Thoroughly horrid" comes to mind.

If web design is going to be your business, then that design is going to drive the customers away.  A designer's site ought to showcase talents and turn lookers into buyers.  Your's won't.