wikipedia "vandalism" - have you?

redbullmarky

Wikipedia "Vandalism":

has anyone done this before?
Occasionally you see a post on Wikipedia regarding a band/rockstar/sports team/etc that you either admire or hate, but you feel that the article is misrepresenting what you think. Have you ever "edited" the post in such a way that may be construed as a little 'naughty' to get across your own opinion? have you ever just totally wiped out an article and replaced it with a single, derogatory word or phrase?

please give details...i saw it on a YouTube clip of a US chat show once, so wondering how many people out there purposely take advantage of the little voices in our head when we visit Wikipedia that say "edit me, edit me, please make me derogatory" (yeah, it rhymes - not intentional)

[quote author=ober link=topic=113173.msg460153#msg460153 date=1162237591]
They have moderators... and most often your changes will be reverted within minutes if you really get out of hand.
[/quote]
depends on the article. if it's a popular one, or in the news, then no way will you get away with your changes for too long. however, if it's not as common an entry, it's not uncommon for changes to remain there for months - well, at least until one of the previous contributors checks back or someone comes along and reads the whole thing through again.

i have to say, i have a lot of time for wikipedia - people have a pop for its "inaccuracies", but i guess even the tabloid newspapers are full of junk, so no real difference. but as a quick lookup and for some good laymans descriptions of technical terms, it's a good start.

but sometimes the demon inside of me has prevailed lol

I would never. And that's not because I'm such a "good guy", because I'm not, but because I use it myself a lot.

Sometimes when I'm bored and don't feel like coding I just start reading on some subject, usually ending in learning about some trivial facts.

Like a while ago, I decided to look what it said about my country's history to see what it included. I ended up reading about Malaysia and the geographic distribution of Austronesian languages. Did you know they speak an Austronesian language on Madagascar?? LOL....

Knowledge is power baby... :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.