My first live website!

powpow

Hello Everyone! 

You can find my website at the following link:

http://arianadev1.rppdesigns.com

Concerns

• I did not set a hover or visited property for the left navigation links.
  • Currently the site is static but I plan to use user input in the near future that being said  the pages with photos are statically coded.  I would like any insight to possible ways to code the css when the page is dynamic and can be much larger.
  • Do images need height and width set?
  • Contact us form has some form validation but need to add more for the email address.
  • Reviews- I am having problems with the text aligning to the middle of the photo.  Currently each photo's published quote starts on the last line of the image.

Thank you for the critique!  If you need any more information please let me know.

The layout's broken on the homepage in Chrome (at least) - see the attachment. Also you spelt "Afghanistan" wrong in the header, I think?

The design is very basic. Not much grabs me about this, and to be honest it wouldn't sway me into visiting the restaurant. I appreciate you're new to web design, but if this is your business I would perhaps recommend using a free / low-cost web template as a starter, just to get it looking a bit more professional while you work on your own design.

That said, the layout of content is good, with some aesthetic improvements it would be a lot better.

Hey Adam thank you for the critique.

The layout's broken on the homepage in Chrome (at least) - see the attachment. Also you spelt "Afghanistan" wrong in the header, I think?

I have tested the site in IE 9, CHROME 16, and Fire fox 9.  The site works in all of these browser but I have to admit that sometimes the slideshow will move to the right but after refreshing the page it realigns.  Could you please send me that screen shot. Thank you

in regards to spelling error, "Doh!"

The design is very basic. Not much grabs me about this, and to be honest it wouldn't sway me into visiting the restaurant

I agree with you that this design is basic but that is what the client wanted.  Compared to sites like these http://webdesignledger.com/inspiration/40-tasty-restaurant-websites-to-inspire-you the site I created does fall short. 

However, you have to start somewhere and even though I had much grander ideas this was the layout they wanted.  I hope my website sways you more than their one currently http://www.arianarestaurantboston.com/.

That said, the layout of content is good, with some aesthetic improvements it would be a lot better.

I know you spoke about getting some free or cheap templates, but can you speak to the aesthetics you would like to see improvement in?  I am trying to develop a designer's eye for these things...

I appreciate your time and effort reviewing my site.  Could you possibly speak to my concerns a few of them have to do with "best practices" however two coding problems I have is the layout of the text on the reviews page and how to get my images div to be in the middle regardless of how much content.

Honestly, the website isn't that bad, if you're new at this.

One thing you might think of changing the the layout of the main content.

If you're familiar with the <table> tag, you should try and layout your content with them.

Especially for the Menu pages and the Home page, to make everything look more coherent.

Also, you should add the :hover thing, it'll make the navigation system a lot nicer.

If you're familiar with the <table> tag, you should try and layout your content with them.

Especially for the Menu pages and the Home page, to make everything look more coherent.

Also, you should add the :hover thing, it'll make the navigation system a lot nicer.

i'm a fan of lists.

i'm a fan of lists.

I just think that, for an easy website like this, content will be easier managed with tables.

i'm a fan of lists.

I just think that, for an easy website like this, content will be easier managed with tables.

Bad idea.  Tables should only be used for tabular data.  If you're going to learn design, learn it correctly the first time.

Sorry, I forgot to attach the screenshot and haven't been on properly in a while.

I know you spoke about getting some free or cheap templates, but can you speak to the aesthetics you would like to see improvement in?  I am trying to develop a designer's eye for these things...

I would separate the header, side menu and footer from each other. Looks a bit weird all attached how it is. I would incorporate an image into the header, to make it a little less plain. Maybe a user a different font for headers/sub-headers to make them stand out. The bright yellow text clashes with the pale yellow background. I would float images to the left, like on the reviews page, so that text wraps around them cleanly.

I'm not a designer myself, but I have had to do it in the past against my will.

post-45081-13482403198107_thumb.jpg

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.