#1 neoform

neoform
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 241 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:02 AM

I realize that mysql says it's useless to be there, but I'm using this as a check to make sure that both those fields are applicable to the row I'm selecting.. 

question is, does this have a negative effect in anyway?

+----+-------------+-------+------+---------------+-----+---------+-----+------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra                                               |
+----+-------------+-------+------+---------------+-----+---------+-----+------+-----------------------------------------------------+
|  1 | SIMPLE      | NULL  | NULL | NULL          | NULL| NULL    | NULL| NULL | Impossible WHERE noticed after reading const tables |

Newsique.com Social News Network

#2 fenway

fenway
  • Staff Alumni
  • MySQL Si-Fu / PHP Resident Alien
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:04 PM

Would you be so kind as to post the query?
Seriously... if people don't start reading this before posting, I'm going to consider not answering at all.

#3 neoform

neoform
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 241 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

since you asked so nicely.. ;)

SELECT 
			id, 
			url_name, 
			name, 
			category, 
			type, 
			body, 
			description, 
			url, 
			source, 
			source_id, 
			location, 
			posted_on, 
			user_id, 
			votes, 
			credibility,
			misquote  
		FROM 
			seeds 
		WHERE 
			category = 'world' 
		AND 
			url_name = 'moo'

url_name is a unique field (unique index, not primary key), which is why it's probably saying that..

#4 fenway

fenway
  • Staff Alumni
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

Yup, that's why... the where clause on category will never be "used".
Seriously... if people don't start reading this before posting, I'm going to consider not answering at all.

#5 neoform

neoform
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 241 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

well i apply the category as more of a qualifier..  basically making sure that the row being selected matches both requirements..  url_name AND category..  i don't want a result being returned if the category does not match that row even if the const field matches..

#6 fenway

fenway
  • Staff Alumni
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

I understand... but MySQL doesn't, as far as the indexing is concerned.  It's nothing to worry about.

#7 craig1972

craig1972
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:03 AM

Hi,

It *is* something to worry about as it significantly reduces the speed of the query, as no index is used.

What's the solution to this? Let's say I have a column COL1 in my db. This needs to be unique. But in conjunction with COL2, this also needs a separate index. How should I tell MySQL that it's OK to have the two indices and use both of them in queries?

I am using MySQL 4.1.21-standard-l.

Thanks!

#8 fenway

fenway
  • Staff Alumni
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:41 AM

Well, if you use a subquery, you can have each query use a different index -- only MySQL 5 is smart enough to use both for a single query.

#9 craig1972

craig1972
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:09 AM

Where did the notion of a subquery come in? I only want to know what to do with a column having both UNIQUE index and an INDEX index.

#10 fenway

fenway
  • Staff Alumni
  • 16,199 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:28 PM

That's what I said... you can only use one index per table.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users