Impossible WHERE noticed after reading const tables

neoform

I realize that mysql says it's useless to be there, but I'm using this as a check to make sure that both those fields are applicable to the row I'm selecting.. 

question is, does this have a negative effect in anyway?

[code]
+----+-------------+-------+------+---------------+-----+---------+-----+------+-----------------------------------------------------+
| id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra                                              |
+----+-------------+-------+------+---------------+-----+---------+-----+------+-----------------------------------------------------+
|  1 | SIMPLE      | NULL  | NULL | NULL          | NULL| NULL    | NULL| NULL | Impossible WHERE noticed after reading const tables |
[/code]

since you asked so nicely.. ;)

[code]
SELECT
id,
url_name,
name,
category,
type,
body,
description,
url,
source,
source_id,
location,
posted_on,
user_id,
votes,
credibility,
misquote 
FROM
seeds
WHERE
category = 'world'
AND
url_name = 'moo'
[/code]

url_name is a unique field (unique index, not primary key), which is why it's probably saying that..

well i apply the category as more of a qualifier..  basically making sure that the row being selected matches both requirements..  url_name AND category..  i don't want a result being returned if the category does not match that row even if the const field matches..

• 1 month later...
Hi,

It *is* something to worry about as it significantly reduces the speed of the query, as no index is used.

What's the solution to this? Let's say I have a column COL1 in my db. This needs to be unique. But in conjunction with COL2, this also needs a separate index. How should I tell MySQL that it's OK to have the two indices and use both of them in queries?

I am using MySQL 4.1.21-standard-l.

Thanks!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.