MySQL Quick Admin... What do you guys think?

Masna

Hey everyone. My buddy Jeff and I have been working on this project for quite some time, really putting in as much effort as possible, and I'd love some reviews!

It's called "MySQL Quick Admin." It's a webscript MySQL database manager (yeah, like phpMyAdmin). The URL to our site is mysqlquickadmin.com. There's a demo on the site if you're willing to give it a try.

I've worked so hard on this, so I really hope I get some decent reviews.

Thanks a lot!

[quote author=tomfmason link=topic=113188.msg459821#msg459821 date=1162192173]
I like the functionality. I also love that it does not use that annoying frame that phpmyadmin does.

Good Job.

Tom
[/quote]

Thank you!

Anyone else?

Very nice, there are a few thing's In my opinion I can point out.
1. The bottom bar, the color could probably be a lot better.
2. That same annoying color can be found throughout the table's when they are highlighted.  The reason I don't like this color ocmbination is because at the bottom you can't see the link's very well, and it's a little hard on the eye's the same for the list of tables you can see.
3. It seem's functionally slow, but it might be my computer.  Maybe you could optimize the coding some.
4. There is a color around the outside of the whole thing, I think a little darker grey would look better.  IT's just a different idea
5.  Most of my idea's would just be messing around with the color's other than blue some, the blue type color is perfect for this type of program.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=113188.msg460252#msg460252 date=1162249610]
Very nice, there are a few thing's In my opinion I can point out.
1. The bottom bar, the color could probably be a lot better.
2. That same annoying color can be found throughout the table's when they are highlighted.  The reason I don't like this color ocmbination is because at the bottom you can't see the link's very well, and it's a little hard on the eye's the same for the list of tables you can see.
3. It seem's functionally slow, but it might be my computer.  Maybe you could optimize the coding some.
4. There is a color around the outside of the whole thing, I think a little darker grey would look better.  IT's just a different idea
5.  Most of my idea's would just be messing around with the color's other than blue some, the blue type color is perfect for this type of program.
[/quote]

Well, we just implemented a new theme system in which users can submit themes. I suggest you make a few [i]color[/i] revisions, and submit your theme!

Thanks for the comments!

Anyone else? Hehe.

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=113188.msg460924#msg460924 date=1162349608]
i hate to sound all Web 2.0 ( I hate that term), but how about some AJAX? There is this guy who works with me in telecommunications who knows php, and he made something similar to phpmyadmin for his personal use that uses AJAX.  It is really awesome.
[/quote]

AJAX with a webscript this complicated will run very slow. We've considered it.

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=113188.msg461312#msg461312 date=1162411474]
I didn't go deep into it, but it looks like you've done a good job so far.  But, what is the real advantage to using your software over the proven phpmyadmin?
[/quote]

Well, it's prettier, simpler (yet not really), and the coding is so much more organized (and blatantly superior to that of phpMyAdmin).

Other than that... I worked really hard, so it'd make me rather gleeful if you use it! :D

[quote author=Masna link=topic=113188.msg461464#msg461464 date=1162426788]
I didn't go deep into it, but it looks like you've done a good job so far.  But, what is the real advantage to using your software over the proven phpmyadmin?
[/quote]

Well, it's prettier, simpler (yet not really), and the coding is so much more organized (and blatantly superior to that of phpMyAdmin).

Other than that... I worked really hard, so it'd make me rather gleeful if you use it! :D
[/quote]

Whahhahaaa.... Well, not that it is relevant for anything of this type, at least it looks better.  :P Personally I've never cared much for phpmyadmin and sorts, what's wrong actually using SQL? Control freak all the way baby... :P

[quote author=448191 link=topic=113188.msg461466#msg461466 date=1162427394]
[quote author=Masna link=topic=113188.msg461464#msg461464 date=1162426788]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Whahhahaaa.... Well, not that it is relevant for anything of this type, at least it looks better.  :P Personally I've never cared much for phpmyadmin and sorts, what's wrong actually using SQL? Control freak all the way baby... :P
[/quote]

I'm not sure every host provides the option to terminal in.  I always use the command line while developing, or sometimes write my sql in notepad and copy and paste wherever I need.  Actually, that's the way I generally do it now because I like to have my building blocks handy whenever I need to replicate the database.

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=113188.msg461635#msg461635 date=1162470302]
Quite nice.
How about a Import Database feature?

-steve
[/quote]

Already implemented. Just use our Export Database feature to provide you with either a .sql file or a textarea of backup queries, then run all of the SQL as a batch query by clicking Run Query on the left pane. Just cut, paste, click. Done.

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=113188.msg461629#msg461629 date=1162469599]
I'm not sure every host provides the option to terminal in.  I always use the command line while developing, or sometimes write my sql in notepad and copy and paste wherever I need.  Actually, that's the way I generally do it now because I like to have my building blocks handy whenever I need to replicate the database.
[/quote]

Definately not, but who needs the command line?

[quote]Definately not, but who needs the command line?[/quote]
Me and several other people. Going faffing around with phpmyadmin - pfff. Go try and do a load of inner selects and see how far you get using phpmyadmin waiting and clicking for a website.

[quote]Already implemented. Just use our Export Database feature to provide you with either a .sql file or a textarea of backup queries, then run all of the SQL as a batch query by clicking Run Query on the left pane. Just cut, paste, click. Done.[/quote]
Not so bad. It looks to work sound.

Im just worried how scable this is. Like export doesnt gzip the output. a 100mb database could be zipped to ~8mb.
Also - does it handle foreign keys?

Anyways - for a nice easy and quick and handy mysql interface - its quite good.

-steve

[quote author=steviewdr link=topic=113188.msg462469#msg462469 date=1162574840]
Me and several other people. Going faffing around with phpmyadmin - pfff. Go try and do a load of inner selects and see how far you get using phpmyadmin waiting and clicking for a website.
[/quote]

I don't use phpmyadmin, nor the command line (except on my local test server).

Mansa, check your input values in [b]all[/b] your fields in your login form. You're open to XSS in your demo. Your "Host" field isn't doing any checking against HTML input, and apparently, there is no maxlength check, either. I was able to insert a javascript and output the cookie from your session to the screen. Double check your input fields, but overall, it seems very sturdy. Impressive.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more of it.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=113188.msg465088#msg465088 date=1163019458]
Mansa, check your input values in [b]all[/b] your fields in your login form. You're open to XSS in your demo. Your "Host" field isn't doing any checking against HTML input, and apparently, there is no maxlength check, either. I was able to insert a javascript and output the cookie from your session to the screen. Double check your input fields, but overall, it seems very sturdy. Impressive.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more of it.
[/quote]

I will look into that. Anyhow, thank you!

[quote author=zanus link=topic=113188.msg465755#msg465755 date=1163122980]
reallly looks great....good job

one little glitch I noticed is that on your Search feature
you have Filter and Order switched.....

I don't quite know what Filter is for but I'm pretty sure you can ORDER by (1|2|3|4)

[/quote]

No we don't. I think you're just confused as to what each is for.

The Order parameter is a way to order your results, for example...

ORDER BY `field1` DESC, `field2` ASC

And, obviously, the filter is whether you want each ordered by field to provide descending results or ascending.

Understand?

Thanks for the comment (nevertheless)!

Oh I'm definately going to check our MySQL Quick Admin, I'm tired of how ugly phpMyAdmin is that I've been going back to the command line mysql...which everyone should know/learn :P

As for the site I like it, the colors and layout are easy on the eyes. Though the screenshots are a bit... small and fuzzy.

As for MySQL Quick Admin what are the exporting capabilities?  I use phpMyAdmin to export queries that people have me run against multiple databases/tables to CSV alot and I noticed there isnt something like this with it.

[quote author=SharkBait link=topic=113188.msg468754#msg468754 date=1163648158]
Oh I'm definately going to check our MySQL Quick Admin, I'm tired of how ugly phpMyAdmin is that I've been going back to the command line mysql...which everyone should know/learn :P

As for the site I like it, the colors and layout are easy on the eyes. Though the screenshots are a bit... small and fuzzy.

As for MySQL Quick Admin what are the exporting capabilities?  I use phpMyAdmin to export queries that people have me run against multiple databases/tables to CSV alot and I noticed there isnt something like this with it.

[/quote]

There are exporting capabilities. On the sidebar, there's a clearly labeled button.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok Im a noob when it comes to mysql, so this might be a stupid question.  Ok can this be integrated  into a CMS type package to where the database and mysql be pre-setup and distributed all together without the need for sql access to the host server?  Did that make sense?

[quote author=Loki link=topic=113188.msg478259#msg478259 date=1165209223]
Ok Im a noob when it comes to mysql, so this might be a stupid question.   Ok can this be integrated  into a CMS type package to where the database and mysql be pre-setup and distributed all together without the need for sql access to the host server?   Did that make sense?

[/quote]

Yes, but what you're looking for is completely out of my hands.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.