mysql insert into table values

lostlee

What gets put in for the values is my problem.  I have tried every way I can think of but I get errors in the code or I don't get the row inserted.

Can anyone give me a code sample using $ variables, preferably a multi-line list?  I would have to fix up my code to show you what I am trying as it is in between tries now.

I have to be doing something wrong and may have to put together a simple test script but a working example would be better.  Everything I look at on the web shows "xxxxx xxxx" examples not $variables.

Thanks in advance.

I have looked at this very site especially since it is the mysql manual, and many others similar to this one.  There is no example in any that I have seen that show an example of $variables as the values.  All that I need is for someone to give me an example with $variable VALUES.  I assure you and others that I have likely looked at many different sites looking for an example and have found none to date.

mysql_query("INSERT INTO table (col1, col2, col3) VALUES ('" . $col1 . "', '" . $col2 . "', '" . $col3 . "')");

why do people still concatenate variables in queries wrapped in double quotes? I'm still trying to figure this out. It's not needed, more work and can lead to more error(s).

mysql_query("INSERT INTO table (col1, col2, col3) VALUES ('" . $col1 . "', '" . $col2 . "', '" . $col3 . "')");

why do people still concatenate variables in queries wrapped in double quotes? I'm still trying to figure this out. It's not needed, more work and can lead to more error(s).

Because there are times when you still need to concatenate things even when using double quotes. Or at the very least use {}. It is just habit and personal preference. I don't see how it could lead to more errors.

Because there are times when you still need to concatenate things even when using double quotes. Or at the very least use {}. It is just habit and personal preference. I don't see how it could lead to more errors.

okay, wasn't attacking you or anything, was honestly just curious. It can lead to more errors if the coder does not know how to properly concatenate.

It can lead to more errors if the coder does not know how to properly concatenate.

Haha, well that could be said about anything. "It could lead to errors if the coder doesn't know how to use a semi-colon".

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.