Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ryan.od

PHP variables

How does PHP treat variables? What I mean is, if I set $auth = 1 in one script and then set $auth = 0 in another script, which value does the site recognize as the true value? Is each $auth unique to it's script (local) or are variables in PHP such as the $auth variable I am using global?

Thanks.

ryanod

It depends on if the scripts include one another or what other pages include those scripts.

on one of my scripts it just goes in order like if $var is first in the script that will have the value assigned to it until you get to $var = farther down and that will have a new value for the rest of the script (unless its changed again)

Okay so basically, it's how jwk811 put it, but theres a little more to it.  To put it clearly:

let's say i have a variable named $str.

up at the top of my file, $str = "Eric Cartman";

let's say I want to change the value of $str later in my script:  $str = "Stan Marsh";

but also, using the "." operator, i could add things to a string: $str .= " and Kenny McCormick";

which would echo "Eric Cartman and Kenny McCormick"

plus, if you include a file that contains a variable in another file, the variable is accessible in the file you included it to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.