Computer doesnt recognise me as administrator

MiRed

Hi everyone!

I am the only user of my computer and I have only my username. In the last time however, the computer doesnt recognise that I'm the administrator. For example the Flash Update doesnt work because it says you can only run it with the rights of an administrator.

Today I tried to install an MS SQL Server express (which of course I didnt succeed like always but that's for a different place) and it created under users, a folder (as if it's a real user) with MSSQL$Server and I tried to delete it but I cant because "I'm not the administrator".

Any kind help or offer?

Thanks so much in advance!

MiRed

Alternatively to scootstah... If you are in Windows 7, you will need to unlock the administrator account. Microsoft, ever the most annoying firm ever are assuming that every user of their computers is a retard and doesn't even provide documentation on how to do it (that I could find). However, an even bigger geek than myself found out how to do it: (It says for vista, but it's exactly the same in Win7)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

If you don't want to follow the link:

- Start > Type in 'Command Prompt' > right click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as administrator'

- Type in 'net user administrator /active:yes'

- Look in the User Accounts in the control panel and their is your admin account

- When using the admin account you will never get an annoying popup, bliss

You might want to do as I do and remove your other account, rename the admin account to your name and only ever use that account. Whiles simultaneously cursing Microsoft for it's ever continuing dumbing down of the computer world  :P

Joe

I've never had a problem with Admin accounts on my Win7 boxes. In fact..

p6qeb.png

If you have another account on there that has admin privs, you should be able to bump yours up to that no problem. This is standard from what I recall, but perhaps installations have changed since SP1 is included.

thanks for your quick replies.

sorry i didnt mention it, yes i'm on windows 7.

scootstah - it did NOT delete it. Also - it just made me a folder under users but not a real user. besides this doesnt help me for lets say the flash update problem.

joe92 - I didnt quite understand what to do. I dont have a separate admin account. I only have my name and guest (inactive) and nothing else.

KingPhilip - As just mentioned there are no other accounts. What is SP1?

Thanks!

SP1 is service pack 1, which is a windows update.

Check to see if you have admin privs, Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> User Accounts -> Change Your Account Type. You might just need to turn off (or at least down) the UAC like scootash mentioned.

I dont know if I want to turn off the warnings, I prefer to be on the safe side.

Two things which I cant update (and it doesnt help to turn off the warnings I think) is Adobe Reader and File Zilla.

Even though I ran cmd as Administrator and it said that the command was run successfully, it didnt delete this folder of the MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS.

If you don't want to disable UAC then you'll need to explicitly run the program as Administrator. Right click the shortcut, go to properties, go to compatibility, check "run this program as Administrator".

Or for temporary, right click the shortcut and hit "run as administrator".

Alternatively to scootstah... If you are in Windows 7, you will need to unlock the administrator account.

I've installed Win7 on several boxes and have never had to do that. All I have to do is turn off that immensely annoying UAC.

Ditto ;)

Turning off UAC only has the advantage of removing those highly annoying popup boxes. It does not give you full administrative access to the computer. Programs like Spybot Seach and Destroy, a malware program I use, needs full administrative access to alter the hosts files where it stores a database of malicious websites. I went a month, with UAC turned off, of having to right click and run as administrator to get the program to run properly. Whereas the admin account automatically runs everything as administrator :) To get that, you need to unlock the admin account. There are other methods to the one I posted, but this one is the most straightforward, just a line of text into the Command Prompt.

Joe

Alternatively to scootstah... If you are in Windows 7, you will need to unlock the administrator account.

I've installed Win7 on several boxes and have never had to do that. All I have to do is turn off that immensely annoying UAC.

Ditto ;)

Turning off UAC only has the advantage of removing those highly annoying popup boxes. It does not give you full administrative access to the computer. Programs like Spybot Seach and Destroy, a malware program I use, needs full administrative access to alter the hosts files where it stores a database of malicious websites. I went a month, with UAC turned off, of having to right click and run as administrator to get the program to run properly. Whereas the admin account automatically runs everything as administrator :) To get that, you need to unlock the admin account. There are other methods to the one I posted, but this one is the most straightforward, just a line of text into the Command Prompt.

Joe

All I'm saying is with UAC off, I have never run into a situation where I have to explicitly run the program as administrator. Perhaps it was a discrete option during installation, I'm not sure.

• 11 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.