Array Help

thomasw_lrd

I've got a problem I can't figure out and I could use some help.  The array $x works fine inside the for loop, when I try to access it outside the for loop, It only contains the first record.    myload is a custom function written by my predecessor to load up mysql records into an array. 

$rdrs = myload($sql);
$count = count($rdrs);
	if (count($rdrs)>0){
				for($i=0; $i<$count; $i++) {
				$x=$rdrs[$i];
				//This works displays all records
				//echo "<pre>"; print_r($x); echo "</pre>";
			}	
	}
	//This doesnt, displays the same record.  
	echo "<pre>"; print_r($x); echo "</pre>";

Here is my output.

nside for loop

Array

(

[0] => Jul-2016

[pay_date310511] => Jul-2016

[1] => 2012-01-12

[pay_date_payment_recieved310511] => 2012-01-12

[2] => 900.00

[pay_amount_recieved310511] => 900.00

[3] => No

[pay_default310511] => No

)

Inside for loop

Array

(

[0] => Aug-2016

[pay_date310511] => Aug-2016

[1] =>

[pay_date_payment_recieved310511] =>

[2] =>

[pay_amount_recieved310511] =>

[3] =>

[pay_default310511] =>

)

Outside for loop

Array

(

[0] => Aug-2016

[pay_date310511] => Aug-2016

[1] =>

[pay_date_payment_recieved310511] =>

[2] =>

[pay_amount_recieved310511] =>

[3] =>

[pay_default310511] =>

)

Inside for loop

Array

(

[0] => Jul-2016

[pay_date310512] => Jul-2016

[1] => 2012-01-12

[pay_date_payment_recieved310512] => 2012-01-12

[2] => 900.00

[pay_amount_recieved310512] => 900.00

[3] => No

[pay_default310512] => No

)

Inside for loop

Array

(

[0] => Aug-2016

[pay_date310512] => Aug-2016

[1] =>

[pay_date_payment_recieved310512] =>

[2] =>

[pay_amount_recieved310512] =>

[3] =>

[pay_default310512] =>

)

Outside for loop

Array

(

[0] => Aug-2016

[pay_date310512] => Aug-2016

[1] =>

[pay_date_payment_recieved310512] =>

[2] =>

[pay_amount_recieved310512] =>

[3] =>

[pay_default310512] =>

So I've narrowed it down to the array inside the for loop.  I need to make an array of all records, but this is not what is happening.  It's overwriting the array, which is why I'm getting Aug 2016 outside the loop.

I can't seem to get the concat to work though.

$x.=$rdrs[$i];

It sorta works, but it adds the same record multiple times.  Suggestions?

here's the whole function as it stands now.  And I have attached the output as file. 

function payments_section2($rec_id) {
global $edit, $styles, $p;
$ret='';
$sql = "SELECT tr_policy_number from transactions where tr_id = '$rec_id';";
$rs = myload($sql);
$policy_number = $rs[0]['tr_policy_number'];
$sql = "SELECT id,   
			pay_date, 
			pay_date_payment_recieved, 
			pay_amount_recieved, 
			pay_default
	FROM transactions_payments where pay_policy_number = '$policy_number' order by id;";
//echo $sql; echo "<br>";
$rs = myload($sql);
//echo "<pre>"; print_r($rs); echo "</pre>";
$ret.='<table class="listgrid">
					<tr class="listrow">
						<th class="listgrid">Monthly Payment</th>
						<th class="listgrid">Date Payment Recieved</th>
						<th class="listgrid">Amount Received</th>
						<th class="listgrid">Defaulted</th>
						</tr>';

if (count($rs)>0){
	foreach ($rs as $r) {
	//echo "<pre>"; print_r($r); echo "</pre>";
	$sql = "SELECT  
			pay_date as pay_date".$r['id'].", 
			pay_date_payment_recieved as pay_date_payment_recieved".$r['id'].", 
			pay_amount_recieved as pay_amount_recieved".$r['id'].", 
			pay_default as pay_default".$r['id']."
	FROM transactions_payments where pay_policy_number = '$policy_number' order by id;";
//echo $sql; echo "<br>";
$rdrs = myload($sql);
$count = count($rdrs);
if (count($rdrs)>0){

$ret.= '<tr class="listrow">
			<td class="listgrid">'.$r['pay_date'].'</td>
			<td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $rdrs[0],'pay_date_payment_recieved'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqdate']).'</td>
			<td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $rdrs[0],'pay_amount_recieved'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqstring']).'</td>
			<td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $rdrs[0],'pay_default'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqstring']).'</td>
			</tr>';
}
		//}	
	}
	$ret.='</table>';
	}

return $ret;
}

post-127056-13482403232911_thumb.png

as Dan said, $rdrs = myload($sql); creates an array of all the records, namely the $rdrs array.

$x was never an array, it was a single variable being overwritten in a loop for no reason.

so , $rdrs is your array - what do you need to do with it?

edit: ok -

your problem is in your return, lines 40-45 of your function

<?php

<td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $rdrs[0],'pay_date_payment_recieved'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqdate']).'</td>
    <td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $rdrs[0],'pay_amount_recieved'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqstring']).'</td>
    <td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $rdrs[0],'pay_default'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqstring']).'</td>
</tr>';

?> 

<?php
$rdrs[0]
?> 

is selecting the same record every time. based on the declaration:

<?php
?>

i think those line should read

<?php

<td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $rdrs[$rec_id],'pay_date_payment_recieved'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqdate']).'</td>
    <td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $rdrs[$rec_id],'pay_amount_recieved'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqstring']).'</td>
    <td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $rdrs[$rec_id],'pay_default'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqstring']).'</td>
</tr>';

?> 

i'd also recommend not having so much html in your function, it should return values and that's it.

Thank you.  I agree with the HTML statement, but I inherited this system from someone who is much more skilled than I am.  It would take too much time to rewrite his code to match how I would do it.

The problem with $rec_id is that is for our transactions table, it has nothing to do with this function.  I'm trying to create a way to update a new table, transactions_payments.  (I know it doesn't make any sense, my former boss was a businessman, who had a little coding and wanted it like this).  Each transaction has a start date and an end date and we have to track the payments for every month. 

You have pointed me in the right direction.  I was using the $x variable to display each record as an individual.  Elsewhere in my code is this statement

elseif (substr($k, 0, 4)=='pay_') {
			preg_match('/pay_date(\d+)/', $k, $rdm);
			if (count($rdm)>0){
			$pay_date=''; if (isset($_POST['pay_date'.$rdm[1]])) $pay_date=$_POST['pay_date'.$rdm[1]];

echo $pay_date;
			echo "<br>";

$sql = "UPDATE transactions_payments set pay_date = '$pay_date' 
					where id = '".$rdm[1]."'";
			echo $sql;
			echo "<br>";
			$update_payment_table = myexecute($sql);

}
		}
	}	

This does the update correctly.  But then the display code does not work.  I had the display code working yesterday for one field, until I did the update code.  Then the display code stopped working.  Now I'm not sure how to get the update code to work.  I think I can make it work with a bastardized (I hope that's okay to post, if not I'm sorry I will remove it) update button.  But I didn't want to go that route.  I actually have a version with two pages, one to do the display, and one to do the update.  I'm just trying to make it all work on one page.

I was hoping there was a "magic" answer, something stupid I had missed.  Which there are several stupid things I have missed as has been posted above.  Thanks for all the help so far. 

I've narrowed it down a little further. 

And just had an insight while typing this.  My problem is, I'm selecting multiple records with the policy number.  That is where I messed up.  My underlying table structure is wrong.  That is why it doesn't work.  Thanks for all your help. I wouldn't have noticed this without thinking throught what both of you had told me. 

Just to be complete.  Here is my code to dsiplay everything properly.

global $edit, $styles, $p;
    $ret='';
    $sql = "SELECT tr_policy_number from transactions where tr_id = '$rec_id';";
    $rs = myload($sql);
    $policy_number = $rs[0]['tr_policy_number'];
    $sql = "SELECT id, pay_date, pay_date_payment_recieved, pay_amount_recieved, pay_default FROM transactions_payments where pay_policy_number = '$policy_number' order by id;";
    $rs = myload($sql);

$ret.='<table class="listgrid"> <tr class="listrow"> <th class="listgrid">Monthly Payment</th> <th class="listgrid">Date Payment Recieved</th> <th class="listgrid">Amount Received</th> <th class="listgrid">Defaulted</th> </tr>';

if (count($rs)>0) {
        foreach ($rs as $r) {
            $sql = "SELECT pay_date as pay_date".$r['id'].", 
						pay_date_payment_recieved as pay_date_payment_recieved".$r['id'].", 
						pay_amount_recieved as pay_amount_recieved".$r['id'].", 
						pay_default as pay_default".$r['id']." 
						FROM transactions_payments where pay_policy_number = '$policy_number' and id = ".$r['id']." order by id;";
            $rdrs = myload($sql);
            if (count($rdrs)>0){
              if (count($rdrs)>0){
			$x=$rdrs[0];
		  }			

$ret.= '<tr class="listrow"> <td class="listgrid">'.$r['pay_date'].'</td> 
			<td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $x,'pay_date_payment_recieved'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqdate']).'</td> 
			<td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $x,'pay_amount_recieved'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqstring']).'</td> 
			<td class="listgrid">'.display_field('', $x,'pay_default'.$r['id'], $styles['osreqstring']).'</td> </tr>';

}
		//echo "rid:".$r['id'].":dir";
        }
        $ret.='</table>';
    }
    return $ret;
}

And here is the code that actually updates the records. 

if ($faction=='update' && $update_permission){
$sql="SELECT COUNT(".$table['key'].") FROM ".$table['name']." WHERE ".$table['key']."=".cleansql($rec_id);
$rs=myload($sql);
if ($rs[0][0]=='1'){
	$vars='';
	foreach ($_POST as $k=>$v){
		if (isset($tablestructure[$k]) && stristr($tablestructure[$k]['Extra'], 'auto_increment')===false){
			// edit for required non-null
			if ($tablestructure[$k]['Null']=='NO' && $v=='') $fieldeditproblems.=' - '.$k." IS EMPTY. IT CANNOT BE EMPTY.\n";
			// edit for datetime fields
			if (($tablestructure[$k]['Type']=='datetime' || $tablestructure[$k]['Type']=='timestamp') && ($v<>'' && !is_date($v))) $fieldeditproblems.=' - '.$k." DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE A VALID DATE. IT MUST BE A VALID DATE.\n";
			// edit for truncated varchars
			if (preg_match('/(?P<type>\w+)($|\((?P<length>(\d+|(.*)))\))/', $tablestructure[$k]['Type'], $matches) && $matches[1]=='varchar' && $matches['length']<strlen($v)) $fieldeditproblems.=' - '.$k." WILL TRUNCATE DATA. IT ONLY ALLOWS ".$matches['length']." CHARS, YET YOU HAVE ENTERED ".strlen($v).".\n";
			$vars.=','.$k.'='.cleansql($v);
		} elseif (substr($k, 0, 4)=='pay_') {
			preg_match('/pay_date_payment_recieved(\d+)/', $k, $rdm);
			if (count($rdm)>0){

$pay_date=''; if (isset($_POST['pay_date'.$rdm[1]])) $pay_date=$_POST['pay_date'.$rdm[1]];
			$pay_date_payment_recieved=''; if (isset($_POST['pay_date_payment_recieved'.$rdm[1]])) $pay_date_payment_recieved=$_POST['pay_date_payment_recieved'.$rdm[1]];
			$pay_amount_recieved=''; if (isset($_POST['pay_amount_recieved'.$rdm[1]])) $pay_amount_recieved=$_POST['pay_amount_recieved'.$rdm[1]];
			$pay_default=''; if (isset($_POST['pay_default'.$rdm[1]])) $pay_default=$_POST['pay_default'.$rdm[1]];

$sql = "UPDATE transactions_payments set pay_date_payment_recieved =  '$pay_date_payment_recieved', pay_amount_recieved = '$pay_amount_recieved', pay_default = '$pay_default'
					where id = '".$rdm[1]."'";
			$update_payment_table = myexecute($sql);

}
		}
	}	
	if ($fieldeditproblems==''){
		$vars=substr($vars,1);
		$sql="UPDATE ".$table['name']." SET ".$vars." WHERE ".$table['key']."=".$rec_id;
		$updrs=myexecute($sql);
		$updatestatus='Record saved. ';
	} else {
		// we encountered field edit issues, don't even try insert
		$updatestatus="Record update not performed. The following field validation errors were found:<br><pre>".$fieldeditproblems."</pre>";
	}
} else {
	$updatestatus='Record NOT saved, no matching record was found. ';
}
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.