Minimal PHP compile

s_bastian

Hi everybody.

I admit I'm n00b on this kind of operations, and I hope I'm on the right place.

I run a MAME (the arcade emulator) related site, with searchable database etc. Now I wanted to make a php based MAME frontend that could be downloaded by users, run the mame.exe with a passthru or an exec command (the one that will fit better) etc., to be run locally and dialogue with the online mysql based database to exchange infos. The structure is already done, it works fine, but it only has a "small problem": The size. The frontend by itself is a small bunch of php pages, but if I want to distribute it "to the masses" it would mean to download and install the whole php-apache-mysql thing, plus the setting it up (and this may not be easy for unexperienced users...)

What I wanted to know is (some advices, just to know if it is possible, before i become crazy to discover after a sleepless research week that it cannot be done....): is it possible to compile a minimal php environement, with a very small php.exe and (all the rest).exe including only the instructions I need, so to reduce the size of the compiled distributable binary to the max?

Any advice is welcome. :)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

yes this can be done. I have made a small webserver that runs from my usb pendrive. and it has apache/mysql/php4 and 5 both/ssh/ftp/perl and a few more things. it is only about 25mb after unpacking from rar. I can plug my pen drive into any pc that runs windows and have a full webserver in 15 seconds or less. never timed it. but it runs on any pc no matter the pc name or what drive the pc calls it. Very strong and powerful.

So what you want to do can be done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Need something of this sort for a client who wants a local copy of their online database on an office pc that is not connected to the internet.

Is there a way of compiling everything such that my source code (for the php files) would be safe and won't be tampered with accidentally by somebody?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.