ZERO's and NULL's in form fields

MargateSteve

I have got another of those problems that should be easy to solve but I cannot get my head round it!

I have a form to enter data into a table and one of the fields can be left blank. However, I'd data is entered in the field it can be a Zero. This is leaving me a problem as I cannot find a way to get the script to insert NULL if the field is blank but actually put the Zero in if that is what is entered.

I have tried several permutations of nested if's using empty or isset, but whatever I try, the same result is inserted in both scenarios.

The arguments I need to pass are......

If field is empty INSERT null

If field is 0 INSERT 0

If field is not empty and not 0 INSERT field

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Steve

That did not work unfortunately, unless I have tried to use it in the wrong context.

Whether I leave the field blank, or enter a zero, it still enters a zero into the table.

$hg = isset($_POST['homegoals']) && ctype_digit($_POST['homegoals'])  ? (int) $_POST['homegoals'] : NULL;

$thismatch = $_POST['match'];

mysql_query
  (
  "
  UPDATE 
  all_games 
   SET 
   home_goals = ' " .$hg. " '
   WHERE 
   all_games_id = '".$thismatch."' 
  ") or die(mysql_error());  
header("Location: matchupdate.php?thedate=".$_POST['date']."");

Is there a default value of 0 for the field by chance?

The actual field is DEFAULT NULL and when a new entry is made it shows up as null. There is no need to put a zero in on INSERT as the fields are intended to be initally blank (they are soccer fixtures and will remain blank until the game is played) so I have only tested it via UPDATE.

I have actually come up with a solution that is far from elegant but does the job....

if(!empty($_POST['homegoals']))
{
	$hg = "'".$_POST['homegoals']."'";
}
else if ($_POST['homegoals'] == '0')
{
	$hg = '0';
}
else
{
	$hg = 'NULL';	
}

**SNIPPED OTHER POST TESTS**

$thismatch = $_POST['match'];

mysql_query
  (
  "
  UPDATE 
  all_games 
   SET 
   home_goals = " .$hg. ", 
   away_goals = " .$ag. ", 
   attendance = " . $att . " 
   WHERE 
   all_games_id = '".$thismatch."' 
  ") or die(mysql_error());  
header("Location: matchupdate.php?thedate=".$_POST['date']."");

}

I think I see what was causing the problem with the code I posted. The quotes in the query string around $hg cause the value to be interpreted as a string, so it was attempting to set the field to the string literal 'NULL'.

So if I used your code with home_goals = $hg in the query string it should work? It is late now and am off to bed but will give that a go in the morning.

Thanks

Steve

I tried it again and it threw up a MySQL error on that part, so I tried again but wrapped the NULL in the code you provided in single quotes

$hg = isset($_POST['homegoals']) && ctype_digit($_POST['homegoals'])  ? (int) $_POST['homegoals'] : 'NULL';

Now it works perfectly. All that is left is for me to understand what it is doing! My assumption is....

$hg = isset($_POST['homegoals']) && ctype_digit($_POST['homegoals'])

Checks if the field is set and if it is set is it a number?

? (int) $_POST['homegoals']

If it is a number, insert the field

: 'NULL';

If not set or not a number, enter NULL

Thanks for the help.

Steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.