First time using MS SQL (usually mysql) Help!!!

deansatch

I have always worked in php on linux servers but I have to transfer someone's windows site to a new host for them. I thought it would be straight forward but now I have the hosting ready with all their files uploaded and have a MS SQL database set up I

a) can't figure out where the hell I am supposed to put the new database connection details (php stuff always just has an included config file - simple!) and

b) have connected to the MS SQL server with navicat and tried importing the .bak file but it seems to do fuck all!

Help!!! CMS they are using is 'Umbraco' btw

Never heard of/used that cms.  Google seems to indicate it's a .net app though which would lead me to believe the connection details for the db probably go into the Web.config file, likely in the site's root folder.

As for the DB, if you have a backup from the old DB you probably just need to use the restore functionality to bring it back on the new server.  If you have access to sql management studio it's pretty easy to do from there.

• 3 months later...

You have to be sure about the version of mssql you are using.

I use the wrong version like 2008 and when the server is 2005 and ended up I have to reinstall everything from scratch again.

You need to ip address of the host for it to work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.