Action based on select box item

mdmartiny

Hello Everyone,

I have a select box with my main categories in it. Depending on what is selected by the user in the selection box another selection box will pop up with sub categories.

I am not sure how to get it to open the subcategory selection box. I do not want the selection box with the sub categories in it showing at first. It would be after something has been chosen in the category selection box.

You have two options:

1) Load all the possible sub-category select elements on page load, setting them all to be hidden, showing the appropriate element when a selection is made from the main category.

2) Only load the main category on page load, and use AJAX to load the sub-category after a selection has been made from the main category.

Regardless of which option you use, you will need to set an onchange listener on the main category to watch for a selection. When that listener is fired, you can use one of the two methods I gave above.

I am trying to write the code to do what I want but nothing I am doing is working. Could someone please give me a hand with it.

This is what I have written so far.

<p>
                        <label for="category">Category:</label><select name="category" id="category">
                            <option selected="selected" disabled="disabled" value="Select a Category">Select a Category......</option>
                            <?php
                            $select_sql = "SELECT * FROM category ORDER BY cat_id";
                            $cat_select = mysql_query($select_sql);

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($cat_select)) {
                                echo "<option value=\"" . $row['cat_id'] . "\">" . $row['category'] . "</option>\n  ";
                            }
                            ?>
                        </select>
                    </p>
                    <script>
					var category = $('#category').val();
					var cat_id =$('#category option:selected').data();

$('#make').change(function(){
						$.post ('includes/sub_functions.php', {category:category, cat_id:cat_id}, function(data) {
							$('#sub_category').html(data)
						});
					});
				</script>
                    <p>
                        <label for='sub_category'>Sub Category:</label><select name='sub_category' id='sub_category'>
                            <option selected="selected" value='Select a Sub Category'>Select a Sub Category......</option>
                        </select>
                    </p>

This is the function page

<?php
include('connection.php');
connect();

if(isset($_POST['category'])){
$cat_id = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['cat_id']);

$sub_sql = "Select * from sub_cat, category where sub_cat.cat_id = category.$cat_id";
    $sub_select = mysql_query($sub_sql);

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($sub_select)) {
         echo "<option value=\"" . $row['sub_cat_id'] . "\">" . $row['sub_cat'] . "</option>\n  ";
                            }
}
?>

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.