The Dead

I know Josh likes zombies and all, but people who necro dead threads (>1-2 years old) bug me. I can understand that there may be an instance where the OP comes in with a solution to it, or maybe someone else has a solution, but where it bugs me is the OP, or someone else asking for help on this dead topic instead of creating a new one.

Suggestion would be a couple different ones:

[*]A warning to the effect of "This topic is over x years old, please consider creating a new one" with maybe a captcha required. The idea would be to make it more annoying to continually post in this dead thread vs making a new one.

[*]Locking the threads after X time. The locking would prevent the updates, which is why I put the captcha / warning suggestion first.

[*]Keep the system as it is, ignore me and go on your merry way.

Anyhow, just figured it would help out, namely what brought this to mind was:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=267188.msg1674175#msg1674175

The OP posts in a thread that is nearly 3 years old, marked as solved, trying to get more help. So yea, just something I found annoying.

Number 1 already happens, but there's no captcha. Saw it once when I was considering reviving an old thread :P:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.

Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

A warning to the effect of "This topic is over x years old, please consider creating a new one" with maybe a captcha required. The idea would be to make it more annoying to continually post in this dead thread vs making a new one.

YEah, as joe92 said, this already happens. A captcha wouldn't make much of a difference because most of the people that post under the old threads have < 10 posts anyways - meaning they will see a captcha no matter waht.

Locking the threads after X time. The locking would prevent the updates, which is why I put the captcha / warning suggestion first.

If we start getting a lot more of them, this might be an option, but as for now, I'd say nay.

Keep the system as it is, ignore me and go on your merry way.

We already ignore you  :-*

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.