displaying soc. security number

phppup

After submission I want to be able to pull up a customer record and the LAST 4 DIGITS of the social security number that was provided.  What's the best way to do this? 

Am I best off having them INPUT the digits into three different fields that will load into the DB as Socxxx, Socxx, and Socxxxx, and just calling the Socxxxx field, or is there a way to 'strip' all but the last 4 digits?

I'm assuming you have the required permissions to store people's SSN... and if you do, I would have to disagree with ManiacDan on this one.  It would be much better to format this string in the query so the actual SSN isn't floating around, even though the likelihood of someone grabbing the data from the script it highly unlikely, the data is still very sensitive and must be handled that way.

So, something like this should work

SELECT RIGHT(ssn_number ,4)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.