any easy way to list UPDATE columns

phppup

If you really want to do only ONE UPDATE, Zane already posted code to make that happen.  All you were missing was filtering out your record_id and action posts. Because you have not shown us your form or your table fields we can only assume table fields match.

<?php
if(isset($_POST['action']) && $_POST['action']=="submitform"){
//recieve the variables
$roastturkey = $_POST['roastturkey'];
$broccoli = $_POST['broccoli'];
$brisket = $_POST['brisket'];
$carrots = $_POST['carrots'];       

if(isset($_POST['record_id']) && !empty($_POST['record_id'])){
$record_id=$_POST['record_id'];
$myUpdateList = array();
foreach($_POST as $indexName => $value){
if ($indexName!="record_id" && $indexName!="action"){
$myUpdateList[] = "$indexName='$value'";
}//if ($indexName!="record_id" && $indexName!="action")
}//foreach($_POST as $indexName => $value) 
$fields = implode(",", $myUpdateList);
$sql=("UPDATE testtable SET $fields WHERE id=$record_id");
$result=mysql_query($sql);
}//if(isset($_POST['record_id']) && !empty($_POST['record_id']))
}//if(isset($_POST['action']) && $_POST['action']=="submitform")
?>

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from Zane

4.) I'll bet you all of my life savings that your query failed because you used every single element in your POST array

Listen to what people tell you and posting relevant code i.e. the form at least on the first post can spot problems.  Both versions I posted should work but make sure you use the IF statement I added to filter out any POST values you are not updating in the DB table.  The only two I can see is "action", which I assume is your submit button and the record_id.  If there are others add them to this line.

if ($indexName!="record_id" && $indexName!="action")  //etc

Good morning everyone!

OKAY, let's sort of forget the aforementioned pages for a minute, because they seem to be working (kind of).

Here's the issue:

My form is created by this code

if(mysql_num_rows($query) > 0){    while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($query))    {        $record_id = $row['ID'];        echo '<option value="' . $record_id . '">' . $record_id . '</option>';    }}

which gives me a dropdown of ALL my id's by row, and renames them $record_id

This takes me to a page that carries that record_id and displays a form with values as inputs that can be changed.

If there are UPDATES made, then hitting the submit button goes to another php script (shown previously) that should make the update and offer a Success message."

My problem here is that updates are NOT occurring, and I am recieving a scripted ERROR message. 

Apparently my $record_id is NOT being forwarded beyond the first instance.

How do I bring it to this second file?  Should I be using SESSION, or is a hidden file in order? 

And where shall it be placed?

the first page has this code to display the fields:

connect:

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM pass WHERE id = $record_id ")

or die(mysql_error());

$row = mysql_fetch_array( $result );

echo echo echo  submit button

the second file that gets called AFTER submission of UPDATES is:

if(isset($_POST['action']) && $_POST['action'] == 'submitform')

{ $roastturkey = $_POST['roastturkey'];

}

$pass = array();foreach($_POST as $indexName => $value) {    $pass[] = "$indexName = \"$value\"";}

$fields = implode(",", $pass);

$sql=("UPDATE pass SET $fields WHERE id = $record_id

$result=mysql_query($sql); ");

if($result){

echo "Successful";

else {

echo "ERROR";

}

so where exactly shall i put new code??

Well you need to be passing your record_id from your first form to the second, which I believe you said you were doing.  Not seeing the actual code I can't be sure. 

This takes me to a page that carries that record_id and displays a form with values as inputs that can be changed.

On the second page you grab this posted record_id and make your update based on this id.

ALL the code is posted at bottom of this page 2
Not really.  You're explaining the code not showing code, for example I don't actual show form tags or the actual input tags used.

But assuming the record id is being passed to the second form where values can be changed, again not seeing actual code, you convert the posted id to variable to use in a hidden input for your second form.  Again I don't know if you are echoing your form or it's written in html, so here a php example.

<?php
echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"record_id\" value=\"$record_id\" />";
?>

This second form is then posted again and so once again you need to pick up the id before making the update.

Evidently you're assuming that I understand certain things that i do NOT know, and I'm making the same mistake with you.  I am trying to save a little room in the thread, but apparently that is backfiring too.

Page 1 is a dropdown that sorts the ID's to become $record_id (code on previous page)

works fine.

Page 2 displays the form with inputs that can be changed (also displays okay)

CONNECT

$record_id = (isset($_POST['record_id'])) ? $_POST['record_id'] : '';
if(!empty($record_id))
{

or die(mysql_error());

echo "<FORM name='orderpage' action='myupdatepage.php' method='post'>";

echo "<tr><td>"; 
echo "<select name='roastturkey'>";
echo        "<option value='0.00'  " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 0.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">0</option>";
echo        "<option value='1.00'  " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 1.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">1</option>";
echo        "<option value='2.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 2.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">2</option>";
echo        "<option value='3.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 3.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">3</option>";
echo        "<option value='4.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 4.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">4</option>";
echo        "<option value='5.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 5.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">5</option>";
echo        "<option value='6.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 6.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">6</option>";
echo        "<option value='7.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 7.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">7</option>";
echo        "<option value='8.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 8.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">8</option>";
echo        "<option value='9.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 9.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">9</option>";
echo        "<option value='10.00'  " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 10.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">10</option>";
echo        "      </select></td><td rowspan='2'>ROAST TURKEY</span></td><td rowspan='2'>7.00 LB</span></td> ";
echo        "                           <td rowspan='2'>ujiujjpooj</span></td><td rowspan='2'> <!-- FILLER --> </span></td>";
echo        "       <td> <!-- BLANK CELL --> </td><td>STEAMED VEGETABLES</td><td>16.00 LB</td><td>ujiujjpooj</td>";

echo "</tr>"; 
echo "<tr><td>  <!-- FILLER  for SPAN--> </td>";
echo "      <td>";
echo "      <select name='broccoli'>";
echo        "<option value='0.00'  " . ($row['broccoli'] == 0.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">0</option>";
echo        "<option value='1.00'  " . ($row['broccoli'] == 1.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">1</option>";
echo        "<option value='2.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 2.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">2</option>";
echo        "<option value='3.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 3.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">3</option>";
echo        "<option value='4.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 4.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">4</option>";
echo        "<option value='5.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 5.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">5</option>";
echo        "<option value='6.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 6.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">6</option>";
echo        "<option value='7.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 7.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">7</option>";
echo        "<option value='8.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 8.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">8</option>";
echo        "<option value='9.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 9.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">9</option>";
echo        "<option value='10.00'  " . ($row['broccoli'] == 10.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">10</option>";
echo "      </select></td><td>  BROCCOLI</td><td> <!-- NO PRICE HERE --> </td><td>ujiujjpooj</td>";

echo "</tr>"; 
echo "<tr><td>"; 
echo "      <select name='brisket'>";
echo        "<option value='0.00'  " . ($row['brisket'] == 0.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">0</option>";
echo        "<option value='1.00'  " . ($row['brisket'] == 1.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">1</option>";
echo        "<option value='2.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 2.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">2</option>";
echo        "<option value='3.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 3.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">3</option>";
echo        "<option value='4.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 4.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">4</option>";
echo        "<option value='5.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 5.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">5</option>";
echo        "<option value='6.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 6.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">6</option>";
echo        "<option value='7.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 7.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">7</option>";
echo        "<option value='8.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 8.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">8</option>";
echo        "<option value='9.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 9.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">9</option>";
echo        "<option value='10.00'  " . ($row['brisket'] == 10.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">10</option>";
echo "      </select></td><td>BRISKET OF BEEF</td><td>32.00 LB</td><td>ujiujjpooj</td><td> <!-- FILLER --> </td>";
echo "      <td>";
echo "      <select name='carrots'>";
echo        "<option value='0.00'  " . ($row['carrots'] == 0.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">0</option>";
echo        "<option value='1.00'  " . ($row['carrots'] == 1.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">1</option>";
echo        "<option value='2.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 2.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">2</option>";
echo        "<option value='3.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 3.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">3</option>";
echo        "<option value='4.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 4.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">4</option>";
echo        "<option value='5.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 5.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">5</option>";
echo        "<option value='6.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 6.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">6</option>";
echo        "<option value='7.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 7.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">7</option>";
echo        "<option value='8.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 8.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">8</option>";
echo        "<option value='9.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 9.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">9</option>";
echo        "<option value='10.00'  " . ($row['carrots'] == 10.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">10</option>";
echo "      </select></td><td>CARROTS</td><td> <!-- NO PRICE HERE --> </td><td>ujiujjpooj</td>";
echo "</tr>"; 
<td><input type='submit' name='submitpass' value='Submit Order'>

Now, if anything is to be UPDATED, the changes would have been made and when submitted to myupdatepage.php I would get a SUCCESS, not ERROR

CONNECT

$mytabletest = array();foreach($_POST as $indexName => $value) {     $mytabletest[] = "$indexName = \"$value\"";}
$fields = implode(",", $mytabletest);
$sql=("UPDATE mytabletest SET $fields WHERE id = $record_id ");

if($result){
echo "Successful";
}
else {
echo "ERROR";
}

I need to know what to add, and WHERE to place it.

The hidden input tag can go anywhere within the form.  I added it after your form tag.  I do see however that you are wrapping your form around <tr> tags.  This is NOT good but that's another issue.  Get yourself TIDY HTML validator for Firefox.

$record_id = (isset($_POST['record_id'])) ? $_POST['record_id'] : '';
if(!empty($record_id))
{

or die(mysql_error());

echo "<FORM name='orderpage' action='myupdatepage.php' method='post'>";
echo "<input type=\"hidden\" name=\"record_id\" value=\"$record_id\" />";

echo "<tr><td>"; 
echo "<select name='roastturkey'>";
echo        "<option value='0.00'  " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 0.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">0</option>";
echo        "<option value='1.00'  " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 1.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">1</option>";
echo        "<option value='2.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 2.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">2</option>";
echo        "<option value='3.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 3.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">3</option>";
echo        "<option value='4.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 4.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">4</option>";
echo        "<option value='5.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 5.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">5</option>";
echo        "<option value='6.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 6.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">6</option>";
echo        "<option value='7.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 7.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">7</option>";
echo        "<option value='8.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 8.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">8</option>";
echo        "<option value='9.00' " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 9.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">9</option>";
echo        "<option value='10.00'  " . ($row['roastturkey'] == 10.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">10</option>";
echo        "      </select></td><td rowspan='2'>ROAST TURKEY</span></td><td rowspan='2'>7.00 LB</span></td> ";
echo        "                           <td rowspan='2'>ujiujjpooj</span></td><td rowspan='2'> <!-- FILLER --> </span></td>";
echo        "       <td> <!-- BLANK CELL --> </td><td>STEAMED VEGETABLES</td><td>16.00 LB</td><td>ujiujjpooj</td>";

echo "</tr>"; 
echo "<tr><td>  <!-- FILLER  for SPAN--> </td>";
echo "      <td>";
echo "      <select name='broccoli'>";
echo        "<option value='0.00'  " . ($row['broccoli'] == 0.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">0</option>";
echo        "<option value='1.00'  " . ($row['broccoli'] == 1.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">1</option>";
echo        "<option value='2.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 2.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">2</option>";
echo        "<option value='3.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 3.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">3</option>";
echo        "<option value='4.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 4.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">4</option>";
echo        "<option value='5.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 5.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">5</option>";
echo        "<option value='6.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 6.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">6</option>";
echo        "<option value='7.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 7.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">7</option>";
echo        "<option value='8.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 8.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">8</option>";
echo        "<option value='9.00' " . ($row['broccoli'] == 9.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">9</option>";
echo        "<option value='10.00'  " . ($row['broccoli'] == 10.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">10</option>";
echo "      </select></td><td>  BROCCOLI</td><td> <!-- NO PRICE HERE --> </td><td>ujiujjpooj</td>";

echo "</tr>"; 
echo "<tr><td>"; 
echo "      <select name='brisket'>";
echo        "<option value='0.00'  " . ($row['brisket'] == 0.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">0</option>";
echo        "<option value='1.00'  " . ($row['brisket'] == 1.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">1</option>";
echo        "<option value='2.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 2.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">2</option>";
echo        "<option value='3.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 3.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">3</option>";
echo        "<option value='4.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 4.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">4</option>";
echo        "<option value='5.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 5.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">5</option>";
echo        "<option value='6.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 6.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">6</option>";
echo        "<option value='7.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 7.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">7</option>";
echo        "<option value='8.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 8.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">8</option>";
echo        "<option value='9.00' " . ($row['brisket'] == 9.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">9</option>";
echo        "<option value='10.00'  " . ($row['brisket'] == 10.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">10</option>";
echo "      </select></td><td>BRISKET OF BEEF</td><td>32.00 LB</td><td>ujiujjpooj</td><td> <!-- FILLER --> </td>";
echo "      <td>";
echo "      <select name='carrots'>";
echo        "<option value='0.00'  " . ($row['carrots'] == 0.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">0</option>";
echo        "<option value='1.00'  " . ($row['carrots'] == 1.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">1</option>";
echo        "<option value='2.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 2.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">2</option>";
echo        "<option value='3.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 3.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">3</option>";
echo        "<option value='4.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 4.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">4</option>";
echo        "<option value='5.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 5.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">5</option>";
echo        "<option value='6.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 6.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">6</option>";
echo        "<option value='7.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 7.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">7</option>";
echo        "<option value='8.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 8.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">8</option>";
echo        "<option value='9.00' " . ($row['carrots'] == 9.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">9</option>";
echo        "<option value='10.00'  " . ($row['carrots'] == 10.00 ? 'selected="selected"' : '') . ">10</option>";
echo "      </select></td><td>CARROTS</td><td> <!-- NO PRICE HERE --> </td><td>ujiujjpooj</td>";
echo "</tr>"; 
<td><input type='submit' name='submitpass' value='Submit Order'>

Again on the final processing grab this id.

$record_id = $_POST['record_id'];

$mytabletest = array();
foreach($_POST as $indexName => $value) {     $mytabletest[] = "$indexName = \"$value\"";}
$fields = implode(",", $mytabletest);
$sql=("UPDATE mytabletest SET $fields WHERE id = $record_id ");
$result=mysql_query($sql);
if($result){
echo "Successful";
}
else {
echo "ERROR";
}

It did NOT work.

I commented OUT these lines, and hardcoded the third, and DID get a SUCCESS message:

#$pass = array();foreach($_POST as $indexName => $value) {    $pass[] = "$indexName = \"$value\"";}

#$fields = implode(",", $pass);

$sql=("UPDATE pass SET carrots ='6' WHERE id = '5' ");

So now what??

What do you see when using this?

<?php
if(isset($_POST['action']) && $_POST['action']=="submitform"){
//recieve the variables

if(isset($_POST['record_id']) && !empty($_POST['record_id'])){
$myUpdateList = array();
foreach($_POST as $indexName => $value){
if ($indexName!="record_id" && $indexName!="action"){
$myUpdateList[] = "$indexName='$value'";
}//if ($indexName!="record_id" && $indexName!="action")
}//foreach($_POST as $indexName => $value) 
$fields = implode(",", $myUpdateList);
echo "$fields";
//$sql=("UPDATE testtable SET $fields WHERE id=$record_id");
//$result=mysql_query($sql);
}//if(isset($_POST['record_id']) && !empty($_POST['record_id']))
else{
echo "Record id is missing";
}
}//if(isset($_POST['action']) && $_POST['action']=="submitform")
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.