Really big trouble, need help

Rommeo

My main PC I use a RAID1 for a little extra security.  I have a sync between my laptop and PC periodically so that the important stuff at least exists on both of them.  All my work stuff also exists on my VPS so it's safe offsite.

Haven't lost anything important since I started doing this, though if I did experience a fire or something that took out both my laptop and desktop I'd loose a few things (work stuff would all be safe though)

I do have a fire safe with a few important papers in it.  Probably wouldn't be too hard to get a small external drive or thumb drive, toss the really important stuff on there and put it inside as well.  Just haven't done it, mainly because I don't have either an external drive or thumb drive.

Check the rating on your fire safe before you do that. They keep the fire out, but not all of the heat. If the internal temperature gets too high (and I don't know what value that is), it could damage whatever media you put in it.

If fire really is your main concern, Sentry makes a few USB firesafes so you can have an external drive (or array) plugged in while in the safe.  And those ones are storage-media rated for a couple hours or so.  But I'm an online backup fan, there's plenty of scenarios other than fire or drive failure that online backups protect against.

If fire really is your main concern, Sentry makes a few USB firesafes so you can have an external drive (or array) plugged in while in the safe.  And those ones are storage-media rated for a couple hours or so.  But I'm an online backup fan, there's plenty of scenarios other than fire or drive failure that online backups protect against.

Wouldn't that make the drive really hot during operation?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.