DB does NOT record data

phppup

My database was working fine (for test purposes) a week ago.  Now, it will not record data input from my forms.

If I add a new record, it adds the record, but none of the data.

If I update a record, it erases the values.

The forms and attached scripts have NOT undergone any changes, and they DO provide SUCCESS messages.

Ideas?

I will start posting code if I have to, but first, the only "adjustment" made to the actual database was that I may have added to columns (at various locations between others) and then I later deleted them. 

I have since replaced them as a troubleshooting technique, but their NAMES are NOT receiving any values (which is why I removed them in the first place).

Does this sort of manuever affect the tables?? 

(I'm a newbie, so maybe I just messed it up... LOL)

The kind of problems that could be caused by adding or removing columns in a table would (most likely) not produce these symptoms -- they would likely produce errors, but the database would not be updated (or inserted).

If your mySql (server software) was upgraded or the PHP engine (software) was upgraded; changes in the configuration could be affecting this. For instance: if register_globals was ON before and is now OFF any PHP code that depends on registered globals will fail.

If you post the code that receives the form data we might be able to suggest some areas that may be causing problems.

CONNECT

if(isset($_POST['action']) && $_POST['action'] == 'submitform')

{

$roastturkey = $_POST['roastturkey'];

$broccoli = $_POST['broccoli'];

$brisket = $_POST['brisket'];

$carrots = $_POST['carrots'];

}

$sql = "INSERT INTO pass (roastturkey,broccoli,brisket,carrots) VALUES ('$roastturkey','$broccoli','$brisket','$carrots')";

$result=mysql_query($sql);

if($result){

echo "Successful";

}else {

echo "ERROR";

}

Fairly simple, I think, and it used to work.

** Disclaimer: Not responsible if this code causes hunger or urges to snack **

WOW!  found the same line of code in my UPDATE script.  Took it out and I'm working fine now.

Thanks a TON! 

(i think i'll quit while ahead... LOL)

So what EXACTLY is that line saying?

And is it necessary in one way or another as a double-check process of the form?

I'm stillnot exactly sure that I understand EXACTLY what that first line is COMMANDING.

(as a newbie, some code just ends up in my script because a resource SAID it SHOULD be there, and NOT because i FULLY understand WHY i would WANT it there)

if (isset($_POST['action']) && $_POST['action'] == 'submitform')",

isset checks to see if $POST['action'] has a value

so you're basiclly saying, if (action has a value) & (that value equals submitform) run the following script

heres how I do my submits

f (isset($_POST['submit'])){ 
$roastturkey = $_POST['roastturkey'];
$broccoli = $_POST['broccoli'];
$brisket = $_POST['brisket'];
$carrots = $_POST['carrots'];

$sql = "INSERT INTO pass (roastturkey,broccoli,brisket,carrots) VALUES ('$roastturkey','$broccoli','$brisket','$carrots')";
$result=mysql_query($sql); 

if($result){
    echo "Successful";
  }else {
    echo "ERROR";
  }     
} // end of it

this is my button

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit" />

WOW!  found the same line of code in my UPDATE script.  Took it out and I'm working fine now.

Thanks a TON! 

(i think i'll quit while ahead... LOL)

So what EXACTLY is that line saying?

And is it necessary in one way or another as a double-check process of the form?

I don't know if it's necessary or not. You haven't posted the form, so my answer was nothing more than a semi-educated guess.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.