Remote Folder

The Little Guy

I would like to create a shared folder on my server, basically you connect to it and it is like a folder on your computer. You can drag files to/from it, open the file, example:

if it is an mp3 it will start playing when opened, if it is a txt file it would open in an editor if opened, etc.

But the files wouldn't be stored on your computer unless you copied them from this folder and pasted to a new location.

basically You would connect like so: http://mysite.com/some_folder

any ideas how?

If you're on linux you can use Samba to mount a remote location.

That's funny, Samba is generally used to mount remote Windows directories. It's allot slower than nfs which you would typically use to mount remote unix directories.

As for the ops question, this can be done using Windows file sharing. Have you searched anywhere on the subject?

Not 100% sure what I wanna do at the moment, but what I have in mind is:

1.) you register an account

2.) it creates a folder

3a.) you can then connect to the folder and add/remove stuff from it

3b.) you could use it to store web files and maybe use apache and set it as your server root dir

3c.) use it as a backup device or anything really

Basically use it as if it were a folder/directory on your computer but the files are not on your computer, they are on the server your connecting to, then if you upgrade your account and buy more space it would instantly be like adding larger HD to your computer.

So say I make the folder somewhere in my root (C:\)

I could go to:

C:\remote_dir

So you basically want to recreate Dropbox?

Sure, but I don't want to physically store the files on the computer like dropbox does

Dropbox stores the files remotely.

But it also stores them on the computer that installs the software, which I don't want.

You can modify how dropbox syncs to achieve this functionality, though.

I have been trying WebDev, I got it set up but it isn't working I can not seem to connect to it. I can go to the url just fine although a 403 comes up. Not sure if it is supposed to do that in the browser or not, but I assume it is. I try to map the network drive but I get this error:

The file cannot be accessed by the system.

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin admin@hostbox.us
ServerName  hostbox.us
ServerAlias www.hostbox.us
DocumentRoot C:/wamp/www/hostbox.us
ErrorLog  C:/wamp/bin/apache/Apache2.2.21/logs/hostbox.us/error.log
CustomLog C:/wamp/bin/apache/Apache2.2.21/logs/hostbox.us/access.log combined
Alias /cdn "c:/cdn"
<Directory "c:/cdn">
	Dav On
	#Order Allow,Deny
	#Allow from all
	#AuthType Digest
	#AuthName DAV-upload
</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.