like !

Helloa,

I'm just new here, but i would like to suggest implementing some sort of like button. i/e I wanted to like/thank requinox for his last answer in my topic. It wass unnecessary to formulate an answer, but a like/thank you button would supply to let the requinox know it's been read/thanked!

Other peepz 'listening' the post could let the posters know their answer reached them too by liking the post/topic too.

You could even go as far as creating some sort of ranking factor on who has the most appreciated posts like this :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Like!  I was going to suggest this myself.

While it's nice to have conversations it is also messy.  like works on facebook and on other forums (sometimes called thanks), and it can work here.  In particular I would like to be able to notice a good reply to someone's question and like it, so other people can see it's been liked by a guru without me having to post saying "Yeh that's pretty accurate", which makes me feel like an attention whore and wastes quite a bit of screen space for people reading through the topic.

Of course someone has to implement it :)

Edit: Adding like doesn't mean we can't still have conversations.. and people still have conversations on facebook.  It's an extra option, not a directive not to talk anymore :)  It's an option for when you don't feel like saying something but still want to show interest.

I always liked the agree/disagree options they had over on Devshed Forums.  Something like that would be nice to have.  There have been a few occasions where I've read a reply or something that I would like to /agree with or thumbs up or something. 

I always liked the agree/disagree options they had over on Devshed Forums.  Something like that would be nice to have.  There have been a few occasions where I've read a reply or something that I would like to /agree with or thumbs up or something. 

Agree.

• 1 month later...

It does come default with IPB and will likely be enabled.

Like!!

xyph I don't think it takes away from any of the good points of the forum.  If I have a comment I will still post it.  If I don't have a comment but I only want to say I agree or disagree, then without a "like" feature I will just say nothing.  If there is a "like" feature I will use it.  So it doesn't take away from any of the discussion, it just adds a "how many people like this comment" dimension to each comment.

And there will be screen space saved by eliminating "agree" posts.  People who disagree will probably make a post about it anyway, unless what they want to say has been said by someone else already, in which case they can just disagree with the original post, agree with the reply, and not waste any more space.

I'm more worried about 100 vertical pixels just to point out who's approved of a post.

I understand it's a good feature, but I've seen it implemented in ways that are really distracting.

I think if you did it where only the approval/like/thumbs-up count was shown but could toggle a hidden div with the voters it would be really tastefully implemented

I'm more worried about 100 vertical pixels just to point out who's approved of a post.

I understand it's a good feature, but I've seen it implemented in ways that are really distracting.

I think if you did it where only the approval/like/thumbs-up count was shown but could toggle a hidden div with the voters it would be really tastefully implemented

Exactly.. Facebook does it well.

xyph, is what's shown in the following link what you want to avoid?  In this particular case it's ok because the main post is so long, but in general it's a waste of space to list every single user: hxxp://www.wiihacks.com/recommended-faqs-guides-tutorials-only/96886-guide-softmod-any-wii.html

Yea, I've run across a few forms that put them below in a list like that, it is fairly annoying imo and I would not like that.  Devshed's method is not too bad but if there are  a lot of agree's it can get to taking up a bit of space.  I think something small and simple would be best.  Something along the lines of X people agree with this post.  Hovering/Clicking it could optionally open something with details about who agreed with it.

Something along the lines of X people agree with this post.

A question we should be having is what to call such accolades? Likes? Kudos? Approvals (think "I am Mahn for president, and I approve this post!"  ;) )? Thanks?

Some contextual examples:

"8 people like this post."

"3 people approve this."

"This post has had 31 kudos."

"14 users said Thanks".

"2 users accept this solution / answer."

"approve" and "accept" only apply when saying a post is accurate.  "thanks" only applies when a post is helpful to you.

For that reason I like "kudos" and "like" better, as they can have either meaning.  It just means "this is a good post".  If a novice uses it it means "this is helpful", and if an expert uses it it means "this is accurate".

I am Btherl for president, and I approve this post.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.