Wordpress site infected with Malware.

Sajesh Mohan

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually been dealing with a few clients of mine who have recently had their Wordpress sites injected with malware.

I dealt with 3 different websites.

Two of them were very similar. A plugin and file in the wp_uploads folder allowed for easy code injection. Code was injected into a few index.php files.

I manually removed the code, double and triple checked every single file for any sort of possible issue. I searched for the keywords eval, base64, and <script. All keywords that aren't heavily used throughout Wordpress, but are quite common to website injections.

After finding nothing, I went into the wordpress admin panel, made sure there were no 'ghost' users, as some malicious bots will set themselves up as administrator as to easily reinfect your website. I updated wordpress and every single plugin. I changed the wordpress password.

Because these types of viruses can also infect websites through a user accessing the website's admin panel, FTP, etc, I told my clients to scan for viruses and malware in any and all computers which they may use to access these backend interfaces.

The third one was a lot worse. Every single PHP file was infected. I backed up what I could - including uploaded images (making sure there were no PHP files and no malicious files in the folders), and the database. I took note of all the installed themes and plugins, and then proceeded to delete every single file on their FTP. It was that badly infected.

I cleanly installed Wordpress. This entire process was made easier because she had been using the latest version of Wordpress. I restored her database, changed her wordpress admin password, as well as FTP password, and told her to completely scan all her computers, as I did my previous clients. I made sure I installed the latest version of all the plugins that she was using, and I also restored her themes.

The malware has not returned.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.