Hide source code?

Allenph9

So I am completely done with my forum after several posts here and a lot of time. But crap! I just realized that the way my avatar system works it will give away the password! I REALLY don't want to redo that system because truth is it is about 40 percent of the entire sites coding. It works by making pictures in a directory named the usersname.thepassword . Whatever filesystem. Now when I echo the path everyone can see the password and username in the source code! And thy can click it to see the picture! Is there a way to hide the paths or the source codeM thanks!

I didn't say you can hide the source code. That's not possible. But you can hide the actual location of the image. I'm not going to tell you how because:

What you have now is bad. It needs to change because it is bad. Doing anything other than fixing it is also bad. The fact that it may take a lot of work doesn't matter - it needs to change.

I agree with requinix, bad, bad, bad. At this point, it would be better to take the whole site down and not have anything than to have username and password stored as the image name. You need to re-write the portion of your code that uses this. Even if you could hide the source code (which you can't), it's still very bad programming practice. Chalk it up as a lesson learned, get it fixed, and move on.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.