How to get a date from a blog post to read Full month, Date, and Year?

mcallaro88

Hello. I'm new to pHp and I would like to know how to get my $date_posted to read as March 12, 2012, instead of 2012-12-03.

Here is the code:

<?php

$sql = " SELECT id, title, date_posted, summary FROM blog_posts ORDER BY date_posted ASC LIMIT 10 ";

$result = mysql_query($sql);

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
$id = $row['id'];
$title = $row['title'];
$date_posted = $row['date_posted'];
$summary = $row['summary'];

echo "<h3>$title</h3>\n";
echo "<p>$date_posted</p>\n";
echo "<p>$summary</p>\n";
echo "<p><a href=\"post.php?id=$id\" title=\"Read More\">Read More...</a></p>\n";
}

?>

I have tried the date() function but it always updates with the current time & date so I'm a little confused on how I get this to work.

I have tried the date() function but it always updates with the current time & date so I'm a little confused on how I get this to work.

How about posting your actual problematic code then?

thorpe that is my code I don't have a problem with the code. I just don't know how to get the date to display the way I'd like it. Everything works fine and displays properly but I have no clue how to change the time to what I want. Do you know how I could get it to display that way?

timmah1's solution is redundant. Use MySQL's date and time functions instead. Specifically, the date_format function.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function_date-format

SELECT id, title, DATE_FORMAT(date_posted,'%M %e, %Y') as date_posted, summary FROM blog_posts ORDER BY date_posted ASC LIMIT 10

[edit] Pikachu beat me [/edit]

Archived