"DROP DATABASE" statements are disabled in mySQL (phpMyAdmin/XAMPP for Linux)

lopac1029

Hi there, I'm very new to mySQL, as I'm taking my first steps to changing careers from the construction industry to web development. I've gotten myself set up with a intro to php book, and I'm at the point of creating my first mySQL database.

I'm working off Ubuntu 11.10, running XAMPP for Linux 1.7.7.

Trying to follow my instruction book, which is asking me to delete and recreate the 'test' database that phpMyAdmin autocreates.

Whenever I attempt to run the query of 'DROP DATABASE test', I get a message of '"DROP DATABASE" statements are disabled.'

I've tried to find something in the settings stating where I can remove this or allow DROPs to be used, but to no avail. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to correct this?  :'(

*EDIT*

My apologies, I forgot to put any of this that may be relevant:

MySQL

Server: Localhost via UNIX socket

Server version: 5.5.16

Protocol version: 10

User: root@localhost

MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Web server

Apache/2.2.21 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.21 OpenSSL/1.0.0c PHP/5.3.8 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.1 mod_perl/2.0.5 Perl/v5.10.1

MySQL client version: mysqlnd 5.0.8-dev - 20102224 - $Revision: 310735 $

PHP extension: mysql

phpMyAdmin

Version information: 3.4.5

It has not, but I assume that I'm performing as the root user, since I've been able to see all the permissions via 'permissions' tabs and change them if I wanted to. Again, this is my first foray in mySQL, but it appears to me that all the permissions are set to allow a 'DROP'.

post-132406-13482403315111_thumb.png

Unfortunately, I do not know how to do that (yet). I even just tried messing with the config file in phpmyadmin folder, adding what I was believing to be a solution of

$cfg['AllowUserDropDatabase'] = true;

but, alas, that did not work. It actually broke phpmyadmin for a moment because I changed the permissions of the file itself to be able to edit it. I'm at a bit of a loss.

So, it created 'dummy', no problem at all there.

Go to drop via query, same error message of '"DROP DATABASE" statements are disabled.'

Is this possibly something with the version that I am using, where you can't use a query to DROP, and it can only be done via the 'operations' tab?

check you phpmyadmin configuration file... normally named config.inc.php and look for the existence and value of $cfg['AllowUserDropDatabase']  that is a boolean setting that allow/deny users to delete databases

I actually already tried that, stated in reply #4. Unless you see something wrong with my code? I think I typed it correctly, but I am still a bit noob to stuff  8)

sorry I didn't see that post.... did you check the config.default.php under the folder libraries too?

did you try to reload the privileges from the main screen (with no db selected)?

other than that you should check for any relevant configuration variable for that phpmyadmin version

• 8 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.