http://proemframework.org

trq

First and foremost, I'm not a designer and generally try and avoid too much front end stuff. This thing was built out of necessity.

http://proemframework.org

Put together over a few nights using twitters bootstrap, it's a static web site generated using Phrozn.

If anyone has any pointers, ideas or feedback, please let me know.

Better still, install Phrozn, fork the code and help me out.

My main request for the website would be to not hide the only documentation link (on the homepage) in the top-right corner where it is written in text with super-low contrast.

I'm intrigued about the PHP 5.4 aspects of the framework, which features are you using that were introduced with 5.4? Can it run at all on 5.3?

My main request for the website would be to not hide the only documentation link (on the homepage) in the top-right corner where it is written in text with super-low contrast.

The main nav is using hasn't been tweaked at all from twitter bootstrap's defaults, it might stand out a bit more when there are more menu options available.

I'm intrigued about the PHP 5.4 aspects of the framework, which features are you using that were introduced with 5.4? Can it run at all on 5.3?

I'd like to try and keep this topic on topic, short answer is no, it won't run on anything less then 5.4. I'll be putting together an article over the next few days which will go into more details.

No body else got any input? I seem to be having some rendering issue with the tree in the background on occasion on the documentation pages. Would nice to get some help with that.

Any specific environment that you know of that causes the rendering issue?

I plan on helping you out a bit by forking the code later on this evening.

I've not done much testing to be honest, but it seems to be a chrome issue. Iv'e only looked at it in FF and Chrome and the webkit browser on my phone (not chrome).

In chrome, sometimes the tree only partially renders. Also, in the webkit browser on my phone (not chrome, I'm not sure what it is, some generic webkit thing that comes with android) the tree in the background (on the doc pages) wont stay in a fixed position. This is less of an issue, but still it bugs me.

Everything works as expected in FF.

Thorpe,

Like the site design: simple, elegant, clean.  It would be good to work out the cross browser issues.  I find myself using Chrome more and more lately, and from what I've seen on some of my sites, it's gotten significant buyin in the developer community, which of course is your target market.

For what it's worth I really dig the design.  It works perfect in chrome for me. 

This is a bit OCD to point out, but I feel like the six boxes you've got at the bottom of the landing page should be the same size.  One is smaller than the rest due to less text. 

The clean simple look is really nice and overall I like it.  A few minors:

• There is a lot of empty space in the top right.  Maybe move the "Proem" block up and to the right, and shrink the tree a bit.
  • I would like for "issue" to open up a new tab like the "Fork Proem!" button does.
  • I find the giant tree background in the "Documentation", "Contribute", and "About" sections to be distracting.  Maybe a lighter image or something.

Firefox here, not really sure what the site is about.

As for design, i like it, its clean and easy to navigate which is pretty much what people want nowadays.

The only issue that i can find on first looks is the link to "issues" takes me to a different site, which is a bit confusing, but as i said i dont really understand what the site is about in the first place.

Yeah.. I agree.

The site looks fine, professional, all that good stuff... but what exactly is it that your MVC does?  You should provide some sort of demonstration on your site.  Then again, I do feel rather ignorant on the subject of MVC.. maybe it's self explanatory if I knew it?

Regardless, you need to demonstrate WHY your framework is good.

Yeah.. I agree.

The site looks fine, professional, all that good stuff... but what exactly is it that your MVC does?  You should provide some sort of demonstration on your site.  Then again, I do feel rather ignorant on the subject of MVC.. maybe it's self explanatory if I knew it?

Regardless, you need to demonstrate WHY your framework is good.

Oh, indeed that is all planned. Unfortunately however, the framework is in such early stages that it is difficult at this point in time to show too much functionality.

I guess it does need an overview or roadmap page.

Aw man this looks awesome. Every page is fully detailed and complete which definitely looks more professional. The only part that looks incomplete is the feature highlights on the homepage, but of course I assume that will change as more features come to surface.

The documentation is fully detailed and is probably the coolest part of the site. I don't think I'd change a thing.

• 3 weeks later...

On my 1680 resolution monitor, everything is in view and looks really good. On my laptop however, the bottom 3 blurbs are cut off and the header just seems to consume the page. I don't think that would bother me ordinarily, but there's a huge amount of grey-space above the logo which seems a waste. I would consider repositioning/restructuring the logo and buttons to fill the void and make the page look more "whole". Apart from that though, I like the design.

Couple of very minor usability issues I noticed: the blurbs on the homepage don't link through to the relevant documentation (where possible), and the "Proem Framework" text in the top bar doesn't link to the homepage, which isn't required but is kind of expected.

Adam, so you think I should shrink the tree down a bit and make it so all blurbs show on small screens? I can see what you meen when I look at it on my 15" macbook, but it hasn't really bothered me.

I might try some stuff out.

And, yeah, I def agree about the links.

Oh no, don't make the tree smaller. I think it's a good feature, and on a normal desktop it's not a problem. On a laptop / smaller resolution though, there's a block of white-space to the right of it which is a large part of what you first see. I think just spacing out the logo and buttons around it a bit more would do the trick.

Your usage of 'allot' on the home page is incorrect, I believe.

Allot is used when talking about distribution, or assignment.

A lot is used when talking about quantities.

I would also lose, or lessen the drop shadow on the title text. This could mean having to change 'Framework' to a darker color. Regardless, there's not enough contract in the blue of 'Prome' and the grey of the drop shadow. Makes the text look fuzzy, rather than giving it depth. Just an opinion.

The rest looks fine. Nothing original in design, but that's not what you were going for, I think. It's functional, easy on the eyes and simple to navigate.

Ok, so I spent about 5 hours yesterday making sure the frameworks docblock annotations where all in good shape and have now added API documentation to the site.

I also followed some of your advice Adam, and linked the blurbs to there relevant documentation sections and various other resources. I also added a link to the "Proem Framework" part of main navigation.

Thanks for the input guys.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.