How do YOU code modularly?

obsidian

[quote author=Eric_Ryk link=topic=113609.msg476773#msg476773 date=1164950327]
I'd just like to thank you guys for this thread as I am in relatively the same position as obsidian right now. These diagrams and examples are very helpful.
[/quote]

I think I speak for all when I say you're more than welcome. It's the spirit of this board to share and learn, not in a teacher / student fashion, but more like student / student.

Modularity is fairly broad concept applied on many different levels and in different ways. Generally Modular Programming is a style of programming where the execution of an application is looked upon in a certain way, trying to reduce dependancy between components thus improving extensibilty.

Implementing design patterns and using UML to visualise this paradigm can be a great help. Take a look at the resources sticky.  :)

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=113609.msg476830#msg476830 date=1164956832]
Wow... those diagrams almost make this thread worthy of stickiness. Now, if you were to make that big diagram a little narrower so we could see the whole thing... ;)
[/quote]

You can't use the slidebar at the bottom of the image?  ???

Guys, as has been pointed out, I am also extremely grateful for the input. I'm still working at understanding the nuances of the modular coding examples and diagrams given, but it's definitely helped me gain significant ground in my learning process. It's a tough battle to make a solid change from linear coding to using modular OOP (especially when, at work, we're still using a linear coding model for our team :( ). I have also been reading up on my PHP5 programming models and patterns, and I'm toying with some Object Factories along with what you all have been showing me, and I'm seeing some definite improvement in functional code.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.