how to become freelance developer?

zt4096

Hello Friends. I want to ask you people is that I want to become web developer and then earn money through freelancing websites(web-developing projects). I want to self-learn web development. Please guide me , where to start and how to start?. I don't have such background or any experience. But i want to make some money through freelancing.

Truth be known, you wont likely start making any money until you become a proficient developer. If you haven't started yet, I would say that will be at least a few years off.

Where to start? I would start by learning the client side languages, HTML, CSS and JavaScript. From there, you'll likely want to learn something server side, PHP is ideal.

w3schools is a amazing site to learn basic coding for html/php/javascript/mysql. I used it when I was learning all the time.

w3schools is an amazing site to learn bad and outdated code. It's terrible, to be honest.

It's mildly useful as a quick reference and nothing more.

Wow such hate on w3schools :P

When I first started (7 years ago) I used w3school's html reference sheet...

I also tried the tutorials, but I hated learning from examples, I like just experimenting, but w3schools was probably invaluable to my starting in web development..

Honestly I wouldn't use w3schools for PHP, and tizag isn't all that great either, I'm lucky I learn well by myself.. All you REALLY need is an online reference, even after 7 years, sometimes I find myself on google from time to time, you're never going to fully memorize a language..

Thats why I say that as a web developer, you're honestly not gonna be an encyclopedia with a heartbeat, As a web developer its more important to be able to think of a construct and implement it, you need to be able to think about potential issues, before you even get to them, you need to be able to think outside the box..

The best web developers are the ones that can think the best, not the ones that know everything there is to know about a language..

Honestly, I know probably like the most common and important functions in php, but even though I've done things with PHP:GD, a bunch of times to be exact, I don't use it that often, so its just one of those things that get purged from memory, so I end up going to php.net and searching 'imagecreate', because the parameters for the image functions are freaking outrageous LOL

I hope I helped and made becoming a web developer less of a nightmare, dw about general knowledge too much, worry about how well you brainstorm, and your problemsolving.

- Russell

Hello Friends. I want to ask you people is that I want to become web developer and then earn money through freelancing websites(web-developing projects). I want to self-learn web development. Please guide me , where to start and how to start?. I don't have such background or any experience. But i want to make some money through freelancing.

You will have to go to sites like scriptlance or elance where people place projects and freelancer bid for it.

You might also consider to make a site with your projects that you worked ... cause you might be asked what is expertise, what did you do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.