While loop and Array Problem

padawan

These are my tables and fields.

student_info(table) contains ( id(PK), student_name)

student_subject(table) contains ( id(PK), student_id(FK), subject_name)

below is my query:

$getRecords= mysql_query("select student_info.id, student_name, student_subject FROM student_info,student_subject WHERE student_info.id = student_subject.student_id");

while($getresult=mysql_fetch_assoc($getRecords))
	{
	$arr[] = array('id' => $getresult['id'], 'subjects' => $getresult['subject_name'],  'name' => $getresult['student_name']), 
	}

In student_subject table I have at least 5 subjects(different rows) pointing to the same student. But the variable subjects in the array can  only get 1 value how I can get those other subjects  :confused:.  I need simple solution/query coz I just started learning about this.  Thank you for your help

These are my tables and fields.

student_info(table) contains ( id(PK), student_name)

student_subject(table) contains ( id(PK), student_id(FK), subject_name)

below is my query:

$getRecords= mysql_query("select student_info.id, student_name, student_subject FROM student_info,student_subject WHERE student_info.id = student_subject.student_id");

while($getresult=mysql_fetch_assoc($getRecords))
	{
	$arr[] = array('id' => $getresult['id'], 'subjects' => $getresult['subject_name'],  'name' => $getresult['student_name']), 
	}

In student_subject table I have at least 5 subjects(different rows) pointing to the same student. But the variable subjects in the array can  only get 1 value how I can get those other subjects  :confused:.  I need simple solution/query coz I just started learning about this.  Thank you for your help

Hi, the sql looks correct to me, i have tried and it worded for me...

and looking to your PHP the problem seems that for instance :

you return from your DB:

ID 4 Name XXX Subject YYY

ID 4 Name XXX1 Subject ZZZ

you put that in one array that will overlap the index 4...

try to print the instead of saving in one array to validate my theory.

I would do something like this:

$arr = array();

while($getresult=mysql_fetch_assoc($getRecords)){
$arr[$getresult['id']]["name"]= $getresult['student_name'];
$arr[$getresult['id']]["subjects"][] = $getresult['subject_name'];
}
print_r($arr);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.