.css edits not taking effect

datanut

When I make edits to my .css file, those changes don’t reflect in the browser upon refresh. However, if I copy that modified .css fileto another folder, those changes appear. Then if copy the .css back to the original folder, the changes still don’t appear.

Here’s the scenario:

.css edits in domain.com/dev will not appear. When moving the css to domain.com, those changes are seen. After replacing the css to domain.com/dev, it’s as if the edits and move never happened.

I have cleared my cache; deleted history, cookies, etc; and I have restarted my computer. I have even created a new folder and copied all the files from /dev to /dev2. After editing the css in dev2, the same headache starts anew.:facewall:

My first suspicion is that it has something to do with godaddy (my fault for downgrading web hosts). :facepalm: It also may be the settings on my computer. But I find it hard to believe I can do all sorts of things in phpMySql and edit html and .ini files, but still have issues with a lil old .css. Any thoughts or advice?

You betcha. For giggles, I commented the css part out of the header. As expected, the page loaded without any styling. After removing the commenting, the page loaded with the styles as if I had never edited the .css file.

Equally befuddling is that I can delete the files from the folder and upload fresh files with radically different settings in the css file. And the page loads again with...wait for it...the old css settings.  :wtf:

What happens if in your browser, you go directly to the css file? Do you see the old or new? I've noticed a big problem with caching of CSS files and sometimes going and viewing the file directly clears it.

I assume you're doing a clearly obvious edit like changing a color, right? And it's not being over written by any other styles?

Sure enough, it's showing me the older file. After viewing the file directly, deleting history, closing the browser,  and even flsuing the DNS cache, the changes still don't take effect. Yesterday, changes appeared after about 2 hours. On my computer at home, changes were immediate. Best guess, this has something to do with the network I am on. Another possibility is somewhere between this computer and godaddy things are getting hung up. Last year when I had my laptop connected to this network and working with files from a different web host, I had zero problems (except I couldn't connect with filezilla, but that was a different story altogether).

It's an  :hammer_time:  IE thing! I was finally able to get Firefox installed on this computer. Changes were immediate. Here's the fun part: if I made a change to the file but did not refresh in Firefox, the change didn't show in IE8. Once I refreshed in Firefox, a refresh in IE showed the change. Another thing I didn't notice earlier is that IE8 wouldn't actually let me view the css. The download box appeared and would open the file in notepad++. If I changed the local .css settings to open with IE, nothing would happen after I selected open. Firefox shows the file in the browser without hesitation.

Thanks Jesi!  8)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.