Handling User Addresses??

doubledee

I could use some advice on how to capture and display my Users' Addresses.

On my website, I display the User's...

- Username

- Photo

...next to each Comment they post.

Right now, I just have an *optional* field on my "Registration" form and "Update Details" form which ask for "Location".

The problem, of course, is that that data isn't very useful beyond displaying it?!

But at the same time, how do I capture Addresses from around the globe?!

If all of my Users were in America, I would just do...

- City

- State

- Zip

...but what do I do if someone is from Stuttgart, Germany?!

My fear is a multinational Registration Form like this would scare people away...

(For Registrants in the U.S...)

- City

- State

- Zip

(For Registrants outside the U.S...)

- City

- State/Province/Region

- Postal Code

- Country

And how would I handle the "Country" field?  If I use a dropdown - which is usually recommended - then I'd have to maintain a very long and dynamic list, plus Users would have to scroll down through a list of a few hundred countries which my come across as *obnoxious*?!

(I'm just trying to entice people to create a User Account, so I don't want to make it difficult!!)

What is the best way to approach this?

Thanks,

Debbie

The only two fields I would display for my users would be city/country, the other address parameters are not very important. You would only need specific details if your shipping out something to them or when providing such and such services.

The only two fields I would display for my users would be city/country, the other address parameters are not very important. You would only need specific details if your shipping out something to them or when providing such and such services.

Except nobody says "Phoenix, USA"...

(Maybe it's just an American thing?!)

Also, remember that "I" might want to do things on the back end like determine that I have 100 users in the state of Arizona based on Zip Code.

Debbie

Except nobody says "Phoenix, USA"...

(Maybe it's just an American thing?!)

Also, remember that "I" might want to do things on the back end like determine that I have 100 users in the state of Arizona based on Zip Code.

Debbie

Well those fields would have to be available to your script in the Database, so I would give the option to your users for postal code, country, city, region, state...etc You can check through certain countries and enable/disable some fields based on the location, but this would definately take too long.

I know alot of shopping sites that ship world-wide just display ALL options for the addresses, even though some places only have provinces and not states, and vice versa.

Well those fields would have to be available to your script in the Database, so I would give the option to your users for postal code, country, city, region, state...etc You can check through certain countries and enable/disable some fields based on the location, but this would definately take too long.

I know alot of shopping sites that ship world-wide just display ALL options for the addresses, even though some places only have provinces and not states, and vice versa.

Maybe do...

- City

- State/Province

- Zip Code

- Country (default as "U.S.")

Debbie

as a uk resident i would say it really bugs me when address options only have zipcode and dont have postcode as well, especially if they are trying to be offering all options for global addresses, and the same for putting U.S. as the default country, its probably just me though :)

as a uk resident i would say it really bugs me when address options only have zipcode and dont have postcode as well, especially if they are trying to be offering all options for global addresses, and the same for putting U.S. as the default country, its probably just me though :)

No it's not just you. It bugs the shit out of me that people in the U.S assume the rest of the world revolves around them and there economy.

No it's not just you. It bugs the shit out of me that people in the U.S assume the rest of the world revolves around them and there economy.

Well, this American is asking...

So what is a reasonable solution for a website that...

1.) Caters towards Americans, but welcomes all

2.) Is gathering Address both for display purposes but to also help the webmaster know her audience

Where are you at Thorpe?

And how would you want my Registration Form to look?

Debbie

How critical is this information to you?

For User Profiles, I would just like to give people a chance to communicate where they are from if the so desire.

I just want things flexible enough so people don't have "Phoenix, USA" when they want "Phoenix, AZ" or "Sydney, Australia" when they want "Sydney, NSW, Australia"

How detailed do you want the information to be?

The more detailed the better, but I don't want to go crazy.

Since the Address in the User Profile is *not* for e-commerce, maybe I am being to picky?

During checkout, I have a separate Payment form that would be VERY detailed, but then again, I am only selling within the U.S.

How intrusive to a user's "private" information do you feel is appropriate?

Just enough to a "human" side to User Profiles and enough to help build a "community" of "real people"!  ;)

Debbie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.