Data Mining / Extraction from Web

thegladiator

I am in the process of teaching myself PHP/MySQL. I have taught myself other programming languages in the past so its not that i can't learn. but as i'm new and trying to learn both at the same time, i'm needing some help with php / mysql to datamine either of the following sites.

www.findchips.com

www.eciaauthorized.com

WHat i want to do is after putting in the part number, for each distributor that returns data i want to extract the following data for each distributor

Quantity Break

Resale at quantity break

Current Stock

I want to write the data into a field in the database that holds the p/n's and my company's resale. I'm wanting to do this as an exercise so that i can dynamically benchmark my resales against that of my competitors.

To get a feel of the data that is returned, please use the following p/n. 1n4001-e3/54

any and all help would be greatly appreciated

What exactly are you looking for help on? The concepts of scraping websites, or specifics for PHP, or…?  How you would do this with PHP shouldn't be too dissimilar to how you would do it in other languages, have you done the same task in any other language before?

Salathe, this is my first endeavor no matter the language for scraping. I said that I have taught myself other languages as i can pick up concepts quickly.

What I am after help wise is the concept of scraping sites as it pertains to PHP. I'm assuming the logical thought process would be to attack the source code for the sites i've listed, however i have no idea where to actually begin.

thanks

What exactly are you looking for help on? The concepts of scraping websites, or specifics for PHP, or…?  How you would do this with PHP shouldn't be too dissimilar to how you would do it in other languages, have you done the same task in any other language before?

Gents, thanks for your collective helps. What I'm hoping i can derive is a solid base in implementing / understanding the DOM tools initially so that I no longer have to ask. The concept of screen scraping / data mining is one that I can visualize in theory, just now sure about how to begin making it work with code

thanks

coleman

Salathe, this is my first endeavor no matter the language for scraping. I said that I have taught myself other languages as i can pick up concepts quickly.

What I am after help wise is the concept of scraping sites as it pertains to PHP. I'm assuming the logical thought process would be to attack the source code for the sites i've listed, however i have no idea where to actually begin.

thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.