MySQL: supplied argument is not a valid resource

purefusion

I've got a SELECT script in my php document that get's current data. And an UPDATE script that replaces the data with modified data. The problem is, I get these errors:

mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource.

mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource.

[!--PHP-Head--][div class=\'phptop\']PHP[/div][div class=\'phpmain\'][!--PHP-EHead--]

$query = \"SELECT * FROM conversion_tracking WHERE referrer = \'{$_POST[\'cpc\']}\' LIMIT 1\";

$result = mysql_query ($query);

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

$seconverts = $row[\'oct\']; //oct is the row I want to increment by 1 (currently 0)

$seconverts++;

echo $seconverts; //printed as an error correcting technique

}

$num = mysql_num_rows($result);

if ($num == 1) {

$query = \"UPDATE conversion_tracking SET oct = $seconverts WHERE referrer = \'{$_POST[\'cpc\']}\' LIMIT 1\";

$result = mysql_query ($query);

}[/span][!--PHP-Foot--][/div][!--PHP-EFoot--]

Any ideas as to errors? when I echo seconverts, it prints 1111. If it got data from the database, and incremented the value, it should read 1, because currently the value in the db is 0.

Thanks so much!

you do not need a select and update for incremeneting; just use:

[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']update[/span] table set field=field+1 where id=1 [!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]

if you still have trouble, post your most recent code.

effigy, thanks tons for that. I wasn't sure if that could be done.

I'm still getting a resource error on the mysql_affected_rows function.

new code:

[!--PHP-Head--][div class=\'phptop\']PHP[/div][div class=\'phpmain\'][!--PHP-EHead--]

[span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]<?

[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]require_once([/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\"/home/novav2/mysql_connect.php\"[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]);

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$mon [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]date[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]([/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\'M\'[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]);

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$ref [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\'google\'[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$query [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\"UPDATE conversion_tracking SET $mon=$mon+1 WHERE referrer=\'google\' LIMIT 1\"[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$result [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]mysql_query[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$query[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]);

if ([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]mysql_affected_rows[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$result[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]) == [/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]1[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]) {

echo [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\" Done.\"[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

}

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]?>

[/span]

[/span][!--PHP-Foot--][/div][!--PHP-EFoot--]

The error is actually a warning:

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/novav2/public_html/pages/php_mysql_testing.php on line 15

But it's still not echoing "Done." when it updates the db.

I may need this function to work, so all help is appreciated greatly.

The db connection script is at the server root. It works. What if I changed that link to an include instead of a require? What's the difference?

you have a field in your database that is equal to $mon? or do you mean SET mon=mon+1? i do not see any error checking in your code: no die statements, no mysql_error statements, and no echos...

303143[/snapback]

I have added the error checking statements and no errors are reported because the queries go through just fine. It's the mysql_affected_rows function that isn't working, and how can I throw a die statement in an if statement?

Also, the $mon is a variable that holds the current month in mmm for (ex: oct). So the query takes oct and increments it (oct=oct+1) -> ($mon=$mon+1)

[!--PHP-Head--][div class=\'phptop\']PHP[/div][div class=\'phpmain\'][!--PHP-EHead--][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]<?php

[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]require_once([/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\'/home/novav2/mysql_connect.php\'[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]);

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$mon [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]date[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]([/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\'M\'[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]);

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$ref [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\'google\'[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$query [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\"UPDATE conversion_tracking SET $mon=$mon+1 WHERE referrer=\'google\' LIMIT 1\"[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$result [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]mysql_query[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$query[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]) or die([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]mysql_error[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]());

if ([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$result[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]) { [/span][span style=\"color:#FF8000\"]# the or die should stop before this

[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]if ([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]mysql_affected_rows[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$result[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]) == [/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]1[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]) {

echo [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\'Done.\'[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

}

}

else {

echo [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\'Incomplete.\'[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

}

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]?>[/span]

make sure you have or dies in the mysql_connect file as well.

Well, I've managed to get it to work. I restructured the query to use the numbers in the primary key, rather than the referrer column. Here's the new posted code:

[span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]<?

[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]require_once([/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\"/home/novav2/mysql_connect.php\"[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]);

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$ref [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]1[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$query [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\"UPDATE conversion_tracking SET $mon=$mon+1 WHERE cpc_id=\'$ref\' LIMIT 1\"[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$result [/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]= @[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]mysql_query[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]$query[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]) or die ([/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]mysql_error[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]());

if (@[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]mysql_affected_rows[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]() == [/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]1[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"]) {

echo [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\" Done.\"[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

} else {

echo [/span][span style=\"color:#DD0000\"]\"Go!\"[/span][span style=\"color:#007700\"];

}

[/span][span style=\"color:#0000BB\"]?>

[/span]

So I guess MySQL is really picky when you're using $variables and stuff like that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.