if ( isset($_POST['submitted'])

{  if ($_POST[name])

{  $name = $_POST[name]; 

}

else

{ //what code goes here?

}

?>

What I would like to happen in the else statement is that if name field is left blank user is automatically redirected to A.php, the name field is highlighted and a small error message that the name field was left empty appears. How can that be achieved? I would be very grateful for all help.

Is there a strong reason why you dont validate your form input on the same page? On A.php? 

for the action use "<?php echo $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]; ?>" and include your isset validation in the top of your script.

This is just one way to do it.

algidDes702

I would agree that processing/validation should be done above <html> on the same page however I would use a empty action line in the form, eg. <form action="" method="post">

I WOULD NOT USE $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]

http://www.google.com/search?q=%24_SERVER%27PHP_SELF%27+xss+vulnerability&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies.

Although I didn't include all the code, there is a lot of javascript in A.php to make the form appear stylish instead of the standard HTML inputs. That is why I wanted to keep the file separate from the php validation.

I was wondering if I could write <form action="" method="post"> in A.php and include("A.php"); in B.php immediately below the php validation so that A.php appears immediately below the validation in B.php. But then how would I jump to input label?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.