PHP in Mobile App Development

akrohn

If any of you have developed mobile apps before I could really use some advice, please. I have never made one, and would like to for my website. I just need to query my database and display the information. From what I have been able to put together so far, I know that I can use css and jquery fine. My main question is: can I use php to query the mysql database? Pretty much I am a novice, so if using these languages together will not work, please feel free to suggest combinations that would be better. Although, I am trying to avoid as much object oriented stuff as I can, because I just don't get it entirely, but I'll still take the suggestion. Thanks.

Do you actually need a standalone app, or just a mobile website?  Apps require that you create an executable that can be run on the phone/tablet itself, which is written in one of three languages:

Objective-C for iOS/Apple products (iPhone/iPad)

Java for Android

C# + .NET, and maybe Silverlight for Windows Phone 7

Now, a mobile friendly site can be written in any language(s) you want, but you'll be limited with an actual on the metal/in the CPU app.

I'd like to develop a stand-alone app. So I'm willing to learn something new. I know this is not an app forum, so I don't want to go too deep into that. Can I use objective-c and java to query the db?

Yes.  You'll need to research how their db access code works, and whether or not accessing a remote db is a better option than using a small db you can bundle with the app itself.  There are lightweight mobile dbs available that are used in the cases when you don't need to share the data among multiple applications (like, say, a website and a standalone app).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.