How do I store 3 values in an Array?

doubledee

You'll want a multi-dimensional array!

<?php
$questions = array( array("Question One", "Question One Text"),  // id would be like $questions[0][*]
                    array("Question Two", "Question Two Text"),
                    array("Question Three", "Question Three Text"),
                   ); 
?>

So..

<?php
echo $questions[0][0]; // would echo "Question One"
echo $questions[0][1]; // would echo "Question One Text"

echo $questions[1][0]; // would echo "Question Two"
echo $questions[1][1]; // would echo "Question Two Text"
?>

$questions[] = array('questioniID' => 3, 'questionNo' => 5, 'questionText' => 'This is question 1');

This assumes of that you will have multiple questions, each of which you'd assign in a similar fashion.

I have 10 Questions, and for each Question I want to store: questionID, questionNo, questionText

Like this....

ID, No, Text
2, 1, Why did you start your own business?
5, 2, What would you recommend that others make sure and do?
6, 3, What would you recommend that others make sure and NOT do?
:
14, 10, How do you compete with large corporations?

Debbie

Yes, just repeat for each question.  It is also possible to do this all in one big static definition, but might be harder to maintain, when you want to switch the order of questions, or edit them.

Using your example:

$questions[] = array('questioniID' => 2, 'questionNo' => 1, 'questionText' => 'Why did you start your own business?');
$questions[] = array('questioniID' => 5, 'questionNo' => 2, 'questionText' => 'What would you recommend that others make sure and do?');
//etc

foreach ($questions as $question) {
  echo "{$question['questionText']} 
";
}

I expect that what you're actually planning to do is display the questions in questionNo order, so what I'd probably do instead is this:

$questions[1] = array('questioniID' => 2, 'questionText' => 'Why did you start your own business?');
$questions[2] = array('questioniID' => 5, 'questionText' => 'What would you recommend that others make sure and do?');
//etc

Now your questions are automatically ordered:

foreach ($questions as $nbr => $question) {
   echo "$nbr. {$question['questionText']} 
";
}

gizmola,

Excellent answer, but I think what I need to figure out first is a related thread here...

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=357782.new;topicseen#new

(I didn't mean to repeat myself, but these are two different, yet related threads.)

I think I need to figure out a strategy on the Database side first, and then decide if I want to use Arrays like you are showing me here.

Please let me know what you think over on this other thread as well!

Thanks,

Debbie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.